Discuss Frozen condense pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TomLane

Customer called today with a frozen condense pipe.

Is it a GSR, spark or plumber job to fit the device to prevent freezing?

Also, recommendations for best product to fit.

Firstly I would attempt to re-route to inside. If this is not possible then upgrade the pipe size to 40mm if not already. Yes, you can fit a trace heater type thing to the pipe, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a high efficiency boiler if you are gonna spend energy heating the condensate pipe IMHO.

Good advice from Blake.

There is also this product from Worcester - not sure how easy it would be to retro-fit.

Link

upgrade pipe size, try to connect internally or insulate existing one. if possible maybe run in steeper angle

Thanks guys.

Haven't had chance to get round there yet & see what the situation is with the length of pipe etc.

I was under the impression that a smaller diameter, shorter length of pipe came from the boiler & this was then inserted into a spigot/adaptor to a waste pipe that went to an outside drain. If this is the case, should the shorter length from boiler terminate internally to waste pipe that then runs to externally?

What's the regs about routing the pipe to a waste pipe off an appliance (sink etc)?

I always take 40mm into the property and then have a short bit of overflow from the boiler connection into the the 40mm. You don't want any overflow going through the wall or on the outside.

You can tee into existing wastes internally no problem.

Thanks Blake

Is it always overflow that comes from the boiler? I vaguely remember seeing a ridged white hose previously on another boiler?!?

Pre-empting any questions from the customer, what's the likelihood if it were to be tee'd into the wastes of existing appliances for it to still freeze?

Thanks Blake

Is it always overflow that comes from the boiler? I vaguely remember seeing a ridged white hose previously on another boiler?!?

Pre-empting any questions from the customer, what's the likelihood if it were to be tee'd into the wastes of existing appliances for it to still freeze?

Almost none but if the waste was blocked that would be the same result.

Thanks again for all your helpful information guys! Good to expand your knowledge!

The customer has decided to get a spark to fit a trace heating element device despite the fact I've told him it would be cheaper to re-route the pipe internally.

Fit a rodding/cleaning eye to the top of the outside part of condensate pipe, so when it freezes you can remove the eye and pour a kettle down it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Frozen condense pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock