Search the forum,

Discuss Garage workshop heating project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi chaps,

Have been asked to look at providing heating for a workshop. It is approx 10.5m x 5.5m but runs all the way up to the roof i.e. 7.3m high. The guy has another workshop next door which is heated by 4 rads run off a Grant 50 /70 oil boiler. This workshop has a ceiling however with office space above ( with another 4 rads off same system )
Have done a wee bit of tinkering with various programmes etc and the heat requirement is approx 18000 BTU's - would it be worthwhile installing a boiler , even a second hand boiler , and 3 x 6000BTU rads? Have never had to work with a space so high before…...

many thanks for any suggestions

dave

cast iron pot stove to burn an waste and keep the place warm. you dont mention if the walls are brick or corregated metal so hard to say what to do, especially as your still working in btu.

Im taking out a heat therm oil boiler. Free if you want to collect from the back of beyond.

Heating spaces like that, you may as well burn fivers.

Have a look at radiant heaters, or quartz heaters- heat the people, not the air.

The ambirad site would be a starting point

brick and block walls lameplumb - constructed 2000 so presumably at least some form of insulation involved

Thought of a warm air heater Dave? Warmflow or powrmatic are your boyos here, strip out the boiler and rads and duct one or two of the turrets.

Whereabouts over here are you?

I'm with croppie, a powrmatic or nuway benson would do the trick for you. Either would heat the space quickly. They have oil or gas fired units available.
Could fit a schwank radiant heater but that wouldn't heat the office space

The heat loss calcs are diff aswell. What type of roof and is it an open door garage...or is it an enclosed space?

Have a look at Myson Hi-lines, I did a job recently where the company specified five hi-lines to be fitted in a separate zone in their workshop which was approx 30m X 20m X 10m with two large roller shutter doors at each end, also there was an additional L type space which was at one end which needed heat.
Before anyone jumps in and says not enough heat, I also thought it wouldn't be enough but the company owner explained that they do create some heat through welding and machinery and he didn't want to provide a lot of heat otherwise the lads got lazy.
I fit them all at about 3mts high and ran off the flow and return with its own thermostat/programmer and tbh I was surprised at how warm they made it.

hi croppie - I'm in Antrim. know nowt about warm air heaters and the guy is keen on a boiler / rads as this is what he has in his other workshop. Says it works well for him although this workshop has a standard ceiling with office space above.

cheers

dave

Might be an idea to go with Goz's suggestion Dave.

You didn't wave when I flew past from Londonderry to Belfast earlier today!

Do like Croppie says but don't forget hot air rises like hell off a warm air unit, just like on here, de-strat fan will do the trick

Warm air heater and de-strat fan, or Ray's suggestion of electric radiant or quartz heaters. Can't compare the 2 units if one of them has a second floor, at 7.3m height you've got a lot of space to heat before you'll feel it at floor level. I wouldn't even consider rads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Garage workshop heating project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock