Search the forum,

Discuss Garden office with a toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

siimon

I'd like to get a water supply from my house to a toilet in a garden office building (not yet built) but there's a public sewer pipe between at approx 350mm depth.

Is it breaking any rules to just mole under the sewer pipe at depth 1m? The pipe would be coming from near the boiler in my garage, so assuming I don't want to break the DPM (and a lot of concrete!), there's no way to have it already at 1m depth when it leaves the building, so should I just use some heating tape/insulation for the first couple of meters? How is this normally done?

The other question I had is about the toilet waste. There's a nearby plastic inspection chamber with one unused input, and the invert level (for that input) is ~450mm below the top of the cover. The intended position of the toilet is 7m from the IC. 7000/40 gives me 175mm higher up at the toilet end (assuming that's how it's calculated, e.g. 1/40 drop). The ground level at the toilet site is about 100mm below the IC cover. In other words, not a lot to play with!

I have read somewhere that waste joining soil stacks must do so at least 450mm above invert level of the bend at the bottom, but does the same apply to a toilet flush which presumably has a bit of oomph behind it as opposed to some little trickle coming from a sink or WM? By my calculation, assuming I add the 450mm, the toilet waste needs to be 275mm above ground so does that mean I should stick my WC pan on a raised floor?

thanks for any advice,
Simon.

Fall of 100mm over 7 metres will be OK for toilet from garden office provided pipe is properly bedded and won't settle when backfilled. Floor of office should be 150mm above ground level so plenty of fall for intended purpose. Where top of pipe close to surface protect with concrete slab. Excavate trench for water main 750mm deep, going deeper to mole under public sewer if necessary. Without undermining public sewer, diameter can be checked from top and depth of mole set accordingly. Length of scaffold tube or similar knocked through with sledge hammer normally sufficient for purpose. As you will have a trench 750mm deep up to your garage it would be better to break through and bring up internally but an alternative would be to box in external with 100mm celotex. Fit isolation valve inside garage.

Building regs required. Building control will keep you right, for a fee :)

Building regs required. Building control will keep you right, for a fee :)

Not sure about 'keep you right'. Mine normally turns up and either passes it without looking at anything, or points out something trivial that's got nothing to do with the job, e.g.: Only two hinges on a door in another part of the house. I'd definitely ask about footings depth, insulation and stuff like that, but I've learnt that there are things they care about and then 'the rest' where 'the rest' is 80% of the job, and likely to make my life a misery if I get it wrong, whilst being OK from their point of view!

Pretty sure I'd get nothing like the quality advice from Joni :smilewinkgrin:, but I will ask of course.

Our local building control in North Herts are excellent at giving free advice, even popping in to the site if they in the area. Great bunch. Your installation will definitely need signing off so don't delay in making the application, it's a lot cheaper than doing it retro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Garden office with a toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock