Discuss Gas fires without an hearth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbow

Hi, guys just trying to figure out which of the folowing is correct, because i seen a picture in my vipper book which shows a floor standing fire standing installed with an hearth, and a panel fixed radiant convector which has no hearth beneath it, this is the way i understood it. But after having a look on the internet there are companys that supply and fitt gas fires, one of them said, all open flued gas fire must be fitted with an hearth, another one said, Unless the fire manufacture mi speciffically states other wise, all open flued or solid fuel or gas need an hearth. Dose any know what the current building regs are when installing or just caring out a safty check on gas fires.

Manufacturers have the last say as stated and override regs, so if they say you do not need a hearth, then that is that, however they may say no hearth required but flooring must be non combustible ,so do read the small print
However if you inspect and have no MI, you should assume a hearth is required ,as you assume all regs are to be in place unless you have it in black and white by the manufacturer it is not required or applicable
imho

Last edited by a moderator:
the requirement for a hearth is to seperate the burner from a combustible surface (ie wooden floor or carpet) therefore if the fire is above a non combustible floor then it doesnt require a hearth, MI will qioute minimum distances from a burner to a combustible surface if you are further away than that you do not need the hearth either

the BS states 225mm from the top of the burner to the floor covering, many manufacturers increased this to 300mm just to make sure
some of these types of fires have a small shelf sticking out from the top of the burner, so the measurment would be made to the front of the shelf then to the floor and total must not be greater than 225mm.

but as the guys have already said Manufacturers Instructions should be followed rather than British Standards

gb-gas

mi instructions/then 10 inches min,from combustable flooring to burner

Hi, yeah you only need a Hearth if the Gas Fire burner is less than 225mm off the floor, otherwise you need a 50mm thick hearth
and 12mm of that much be non combustible.

Hope this helps

Cheer James

Hi can anyone help, im of the understanding that manf instructions over rule regs. Gazco require a hearth on a gas letterbox style fire of 100mm depth, 150mm either side of fire minimum of 50mm. Can you tell me of any company who will allow me to put wood flooring upto the wall. Plan to put fire approx 400mm above ffl. Thanking you in advance.

There are some answers above you may find useful regarding dimensions from the burner to floor/combustible surface

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive an answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fires without an hearth in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock