Discuss Gas flue pipe advice on Worcester Bosch Gas boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Horse

Can anyone help. A recent inspection done by an qualified engineer noted that the mainly horizontal 5ft vent pipe on my Worcester Bosch Gas boiler in my outbuilding had joints that we're covered with silver/aluminium tape. Now this has passed all previous inspections with flying colours. Now however " due to new rules" this is no longer acceptable. Is this right? Can I retro fix pipe clamps? Any recommendations.

I'm always suspicious when I see tape on joints, shouldn't be any need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So the joints are normally self sealing?
The pipe has supports and is perfectly steady. I'm assuming it's a belt and braces approach. But is it no longer allowed, and more importantly retrospectively not allowed?

Last edited by a moderator:
So the joints are normally self sealing?
The pipe has supports and is perfectly steady. I'm assuming it's a belt and braces approach. But is it no longer allowed, and more importantly retrospectively not allowed?

If its supported and has passed all checks then I wouldn't worry about it, just can't see why anyone would put tape on the joints.

new rules say the flue must have clips on every lenth, so yes you can fitt clamps now ok. We are finding a lot like this

new rules say the flue must have clips on every lenth, so yes you can fitt clamps now ok. We are finding a lot like this

And every change of direction.

without searching the for the BS i think the clipping distance is 1.8m max between clips or on a change of direction. Some manufactures will give you guidelines different to this but as good practice....... one clip for every flue extension length (1m) and also at any point of a direction change(elbow) so at 2 45bends to set around an obstruction you will have 2 to 3 clips normally.

Also many manufactures will require/allow the use of self tapping screws to be used to secure the joints together, its recommended if its allowed to use 3 screws on each joint which will stop all movement and avoid any stress in one given direction.

Your taped flue joints were never ment to be taped and have probaby been done so to avoid the effort of clipping and screwing correctly. the joints do need to be able to be inspected correctly by your engineer on service checks. You will need to get a gas safe engineer to do this work for you, correct clipping and removal of tape as they will need to visualy check the flues condition and tests its correct operation after the work is done.

If its supported and has passed all checks then I wouldn't worry about it, just can't see why anyone would put tape on the joints.

but has it passed all tests or had all boxes ticked??????

Can anyone help. A recent inspection done by an qualified engineer noted that the mainly horizontal 5ft vent pipe on my Worcester Bosch Gas boiler in my outbuilding had joints that we're covered with silver/aluminium tape. Now this has passed all previous inspections with flying colours. Now however " due to new rules" this is no longer acceptable. Is this right? Can I retro fix pipe clamps? Any recommendations.

each manufacturer has its own method of sealing their flue which must be adhered to, look in the Manufacturers Instructions for guidance on sealing and spacing of flue clips, i dont think there has been a rule change unless he is talking about TB008 (which is for flues in voids) and has concerns about the way a lot of flues have been fitted and not supported properly,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas flue pipe advice on Worcester Bosch Gas boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock