Discuss Gas Foundation Books? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend which Gas Safety Manual is the best one to buy to prepare for an ACS assessment please?
One which covers all areas of domestic gas works. Also maybe a plumbers level 2 or 3 book please.
Reason for asking is a change in career

Last edited:
I may not have to pay for a foundation course if a manual tells me what I need to know. I can now gain hands on experience with a Gas Safe registered engineer who's a friend of mine you see.

Good luck!!
that foundation course teaches you the bits your gsr won't remember or practice.

Without that you wont be passing the acs.

Surely the purpose of the manuals that are given out are to cover all aspects of the course and assessments??????

Are you able to learn 100% from what a text says and also interpret it the correct way?
if you interpret it wrong, walk in and get something simple wrong, you won't be happy when they politely say come back when you have more experience.

first time round you really need to do the training, once you have more experience you can afford to skip some of the appliance training but not much.

You can buy and read a mechanics manual, does that mean you can repair an engine straight away?

I completely understand what your saying and agree entirely, I just thought that with the correct manuals and the help and experience I will gain from my friend I would be ok. It seems that most training centres are money focused as the difference in prices I'm getting from one centre to the next is a joke

Call it investment, use a reputable training centre.
no point having a driving licence if you don't know how to drive is it :)

i recently did my lpg assessments first time without the training as it's what i have mainly done on the jobsite but struggled to pass and i only just about did, since then i went back and sat the training and understood the little bits i struggled on.

much happier now!

Its the little bits that catch you out, why didn't your gsr tell you?
Most likely he doesn't even realise he is doing it or checking that part,

Training centres are a business, they charge as any other business charges, what they want!

Yes ACS is open book.
Yes you get use of the books during the practical.

But do you realise you have to obtain 100% in both the Regs / theory and practical assessments?

And yes I know you get a couple of attempts at any questions you get wrong, but you still have to know where to find the answers and some of them aren't in the obvious place in the books.

I've just renewed my Commercial ACS, for the 4th time.

I wouldn't consider not doing the refresher training beforehand

I've been gas registered since Corgi first started and work with gas most days but I still always do the refresher training before retaking my ACS assessments. It refreshes me on the more obscure bits and brings me up to date on the bits that have changed in the previous 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Foundation Books? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Does anyone have any feedback as to which is best. Running the pipe from the outdoor gas meter to a new boiler on an outside wall or run...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock