Search the forum,

Discuss Gas meter move - or other options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good evening all.

I currently have my gas meter on one corner of my property (front left), which serves a boiler in the garage which is on the diagonally furthest corner of the house from the meter (rear right). The pipework connecting the two is 28mm/22mm copper which is on the external walls of the house (side and back). Total run is about 20m.

We are having an extension built on the rear, and the builder's suggestion is that we have the meter relocated to in front of the garage, therefore only needing about 6m of pipe work to connect the two. This removes the unsightly pipework from the outside of the house, and also gets it out of his way as it currently runs where the extension is being built.

However the meter move comes at significant cost and requires two engineers (one from the supply company to move the meter, and then a gas safe engineer to do the final run and connect up). It also seems a bit needless as we're quite happy with where the meter is right now.

My question is this: is it possible for a gas safe engineer to run a new pipe underground from where the meter currently is to in front of the garage? We are having the driveway dug up for drainage, so an additional trench would not be hugely inconvenient and I assume we could lay 25mm MDPE with suitable protection as it rises from the ground and enters the garage. 22mm copper from there to the boiler.

It seems this is a less faffy solution than moving the meter, and likely to cost significantly less than getting the energy companies involved? I don't want to start ringing round gas safe engineers if this isn't feasible.

Apols for the long post - thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, but not with the pipes /sizes you are suggesting, that will be down to your GS engineer to decide.

Last edited:
It is possible to run a pipe externally but as above, they way yoy want to do it is not acceptable

Yes it can be done but a GSRI will needed to size the supply and install it accordingly . Kop

Thanks all for the replies.

Chris - you've met my builder then?! :)

So in the opinion of you wise people, is that (with the correctly sized/specified method as you've called out) a better option than moving the meter?

Chris - you've met my builder then?! :)
Met them all mate, it's a daily battle.

So in the opinion of you wise people, is that (with the correctly sized/specified method as you've called out) a better option than moving the meter?
We don't know where your meter is or will end up, nor the pipe runs etc, so the only way you will know is to engage a Gas Safe Engineer who is familiar with gas in ground.

Reply to Gas meter move - or other options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock