Discuss Gas safe inspection event in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I agree about the economics, but it is pathetic box ticking.

I totally disagree fireman, it is a FAR better use of resources allowing the inspectors more chance to keep an eye on the engineers that are not up to scratch and catching illegals. Rather than bothering the safe good engineers. Yet at the same time fulfilling their contract with the HSE to inspect every engineer.

It is the RGI that is inspected, not the company.

This installer event is such a nonsense. I have no issues with being inspected, but the idea of in site inspections was to make sure we were doing it correctly in the real world. My last inspection was at least 10 years ago - I have been “invited” to a hotel this month but cannot go. The tests are open book, so how does this differ from the 5 yearlies?

Personally, I believe that GS should go through recent notifications and pick visits themselves. If you cannot find 3 “safe” jobs to take GS to, then you have major issues
What if the RGI is the business?

I totally disagree fireman, it is a FAR better use of resources allowing the inspectors more chance to keep an eye on the engineers that are not up to scratch and catching illegals. Rather than bothering the safe good engineers. Yet at the same time fulfilling their contract with the HSE to inspect every engineer.

But how does this fulfil that, Darren? The original inspections physically checked work. It is not a perfect system, but helped to keep us on our toes. The hotel tests are open book, they are only a diluted form of ACS, and we all know that it is pis$ easy. The hotel tests have NO validity - they may as well say that as, we do the 5 yearlies, we are all competent. Which I am not meccrssarily saying is wrong.

Illegals apart, you say they should leave alone the good guys and hassle the bad ones. Without proper inspections, how do they identify which is which?

But, rightly or wrongly, we have boiler certified / competent RGI’s that do not know how to adjust a gas valve. Hotel checks won’t change that.

Illegals apart, you say they should leave alone the good guys and hassle the bad ones. Without proper inspections, how do they identify which is which?

That is where the good guy's come in. It also up to us to report sub standard work & illegals. GS will I have been reassured yesterday by them that they WILL investigate every report. And this is only a one off. The next time we are due for an inspection it will be an on job visit. As said before this is only for the good guy's with whom they feel confident enough with that we are operating competently, safe & within the law.

That is where the good guy's come in. It also up to us to report sub standard work & illegals. GS will I have been reassured yesterday by them that they WILL investigate every report. And this is only a one off. The next time we are due for an inspection it will be an on job visit. As said before this is only for the good guy's with whom they feel confident enough with that we are operating competently, safe & within the law.
How do you know it is only for the good guys? How do you know that the good ones are not the ones not invited and in fact the one invited are the bad ones?

But how does this fulfil that, Darren? The original inspections physically checked work. It is not a perfect system, but helped to keep us on our toes. The hotel tests are open book, they are only a diluted form of ACS, and we all know that it is pis$ easy. The hotel tests have NO validity - they may as well say that as, we do the 5 yearlies, we are all competent. Which I am not meccrssarily saying is wrong.

But, rightly or wrongly, we have boiler certified / competent RGI’s that do not know how to adjust a gas valve. Hotel checks won’t change that.
I think that it should be more like sparks and that the ACS is enough. It should be down to the training centres to fail and train people properly.

Reply to Gas safe inspection event in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock