Search the forum,

Discuss Gas training sticky in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry98

for those looking into training into the gas trade , any suspicious questions and they will be deleted and your arms access removed.

I think we should remove your arms access because you thought i was serious !

So what is the purpose of this sticky?
Is it for trainees to ask questions or is it info about what the training entails or what?

It's for those that aren't gas qualified to ask questions that are maybe doing there training

guys writting my portfolio as you may have seen. one part is where i need to do a few maintenance of appliances. obviously for those who i have servicing for boilers i have a few fires i could do (take my friend with me while i do service) on the fires but if there are no instructions what do i do in this situation ? i know look online but what if they cant be found ?

In the real world it depends on the fire as most radiant fires are really straightforward but some fuel effect fires are really specific as to where the coals go. Not so sure when it comes to portfolios as the instructions will often state specific things like dimensions of relief ventilation openings.

That's why I invested in the gas installers workmate fires and cookers app.

It says on the portfolio sheet "appliance instructions avalible" and they are easy for boiler but bit trickier for fire !

ill ask in here a im doing it tonight and wont get an email reply till tommorrow. we do servicing etc at a commercial premises and theres a u6 meter for the club house with no bonding etc. could i use this as an example for NCS if it just doesnt have bonding ? or does it need to be a little bit more substantial ?

I'm doing the bpec gas foundation so I'm also doing a port folio. Just throw it all in mate no matter how trivial. Te more evidence the better.

I'm doing the bpec gas foundation so I'm also doing a port folio. Just throw it all in mate no matter how trivial. Te more evidence the better.

Ha ha its hard to know what to do ! He showed me and example and i was like yer easy as so i wrote one with detail he emailed me back saying more detail ! But my point is if i do a install obviously carry out tightness test but its part of install on the tightness test ones can i just cross reference ? Because what are the chances of goin to a job and just doing a let by and tightness ? Unless its a leak ?

ill ask in here a im doing it tonight and wont get an email reply till tommorrow. we do servicing etc at a commercial premises and theres a u6 meter for the club house with no bonding etc. could i use this as an example for NCS if it just doesnt have bonding ? or does it need to be a little bit more substantial ?

I would say no as it's a separate issue, there's a different reporting form for bonding. Look for things like no on/off tape, meter labelling for NCS on a meter, you'll find loads. Most common NCS you'll find on meters is probably no emergency phone number on the meter. In the real world you just write it on or stick a new label on but in portfolio land you write it up.

am i right in saying you cant gas rate a fire with no instuctions etc cant find data plate either.

You can gas rate anything, what you can't do is compare it with the manufacturers data for the appliance if there is no data plate, instructions and you don't recognise the appliance. It all come down to a bit of common sense in the end. As long as you've got a good flame picture, flue flow and no spillage I can't see a huge problem with gas rating to get an input to check the ventilation requirement. What you can end up doing is At Risking a fire due to no ventilation when it doesn't actually need any according to the missing instructions. It's surprising how many people manage to find the instructions when you tell them you are going to turn their fire off through lack of ventilation.

To me the important thing is that I can walk away knowing that I've left the appliance in a safe condition, whether that be working or turned off.

What you also need to bear in mind is that I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years so will recognise a lot of the older stuff that new entrants to the industry have never seen before. When I do my re assessments there are guys in the room that have never worked on an open flued appliance in the field.

What you also need to bear in mind is that I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years so will recognise a lot of the older stuff that new entrants to the industry have never seen before. When I do my re assessments there are guys in the room that have never worked on an open flued appliance in the field.

Thanks mate. I agree with you totally here ! To be honest ive only dealt with a few opeen flued appliances in my time ! And fires is the first time for my portfolio !

[DLMURL]http://www.radmidlands.co.uk/ControlsDom.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tread VERY carefully doing a spillage test on a fire with no MI
I know examples of fires which say spillage must be down "at either end of canopy" or " 50mm in from RH side of canopy" or "by running smoke match along the length of the canopy"
So from the descriptions given where MUST you do the spillage test on the fire you are working on if you have no MI?
You can vet your boots when there's a CO incident the guy with the clipboard doing the investigation will have them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas training sticky in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock