Search the forum,

Discuss Gb pipe heating a small church questions. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elverstown

Gas Engineer
Hi all, looking for help,
Went to look at small rural Church heating system during the week, Simi 30 Kw oil boiler feeding into a very old single pipe system running around the perimeter of the walls, approximately 6m x 18m building with about 100m of 1 in gb? no radiators.

Problems are; Kerosene keeps getting stolen, slow to heat, low funds.

I have suggested putting in a Lpg boiler.

How much heat can iron pipe radiate?, is their any ways to increase the output like special paint or strap on fins. Original system could be 100 years old, (plate with Musgrave &Co ltd Engineers of Belfast and London, on it)
what are the pros and cons of trying to put radiators on a single pipe system, and how do you tap into existing old gb, and, power flush with chemical or magna clean.
A new area for me, probably won't be financially rewarding, but would like to help if I can.

Any help with ideas much appreciated.

Convert the oil type to 35sec for the time being. That's less likely to get stolen in the meantime.

Get them to save for a complete new system, look at radiant panels, my view is that they're less obtrusive in that kind of environment and, despite it being a house of the lord, people rarely look up.

If you're going to go for lpg there's no point in strapping a Ferrari engine in a hillman imp, is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try these, what you need nowadays is quick warm up, so the heating doesn't have to be on for 12 hours to get the pipes hot.
The wall fan heaters are very good and unobtrusive
Drufire - Church heating

We've just done an old church with radiant panels (Dunham-Bush) and fan coils (myson) Heat sources could either biomass boilers or heat pumps
Biomass - the govt will refund the capital cost plus ... Never heard of pellets being stolen yet, and the systems we install are automated requiring very little manual intervention

Cibse guide will give you emitter value of pipework

We've just done an old church with radiant panels (Dunham-Bush) and fan coils (myson) Heat sources could either biomass boilers or heat pumps
Biomass - the govt will refund the capital cost plus ... Never heard of pellets being stolen yet, and the systems we install are automated requiring very little manual intervention

What biomass would you fit as a matter of course, Gordon?

ETA. Second choice would be Froling, both are very good in unattended environments, not the cheapest by a long way, however def the best - spk to MissPlumb also :)

Last edited:
Definitely agree with with Worcester, biomass would be perfect for this application and would be an income for next 20 years. I too would go for a small ETA pellet boiler. The cost of installation and ongoing fueling would be more than met by the rhi.

Thanks all,
Croppie, 35sec will still run nicely in a pikeys transit, so that wont work.
Stani, my neighbour is an agent for Drufire and he was with me on site visit, could well be the best option, but up against cost issues.
Worcester, hadn't thought of pellets, and their are interesting boilers from Grant engineering, unfortunately, rhi doesn't apply here. Googled cibse, didn't get info.
still back to; adapt to what is already there , lpg boiler, low cost?
pellet boiler, knacker proof, but high cost and low heat input,
Drufire, yes, cost?

Elverstown, you appear to be up against it, mainly due to finance, if it's like here that means the church has a bill for £10 with only £9-99 in the bank. Big projects aren't feasible.
Why not try introducing one radiator onto the iron pipe work, see what this does, wether it works or not may be down to Divine intervention. Someone may have some old single pipe Tees that you could use. Good luck.

Thanks stani,
I'm a bit out of my comfort zone here, its old pipe with no unions anywhere, how do you tee off?
cut and try and thread in situ and add unions?

If you have the access then yes cut and add unions, if it doesn't work you can always go back to straight pipe, there are also mechanical joints out there if it's not possible to thread. We are not looking at major pressures.
Croppie might be able to tell you what fittings you could use, "He's Commercial" you know! Lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gb pipe heating a small church questions. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock