Search the forum,

Discuss General information and chat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ste b

Hi all,after a few years away from forum I have decided it's time I was back lol,my little lad is nearly 4 now,I just have not had the time to get involved in the forum chat and think now is a good time to get back and try and keep up with the forum.....
a few years ago just before the birth of my lad I did the level 2 6129 plumbing with the hope of getting a job in the industry, but due to family duties etc etc it didn't happen as I expected and I just could not give up my job of 12 yrs to try and start on my own,I am still doing the the same job as it was just to risky at that time,I am getting a manageable income from my place of work but it's not the greatest company to work for, and feel it's getting close to throwing in the towel and looking for another job or just go self employed plumbing.......
i have done numerous bathrooms and since doing my plumbing course and do feel very competent,I also have tiled 90% of the bathrooms I have done,I have mainly done bathrooms for family and friends and not really made a great deal of money,just gained experience really but what I really wanna know is "how hard is it to go self employed? My main problem is money as I don't feel I have enough behind me to just leave my present job,but is that really a problem? Can I get help with trying to set up alone? I don't know......
i do know a couple of plumbers who I do talk too but the general feeling is they don't wanna say too much about there work and keep everything close to there chest,most of the jobs I get sent to me by these job sites are usually only offered with experience up to5ys etc etc,well I know I've not got that but I know I have the competence to do a job and try my hardest to get it right first time,anyway hope everyone is well I look forward to getting involved around the forum and look forward to any replies if there is any lol....

I'd say you need to be able to cover at least 6 months' worth of bills to feel safe. Then add the cost of a van, tools, stock.. I always worked on the principle that if I broke a leg and couldn't work, 6 months would be enough to recover or find another job...

What experience do you have of the mechanics of running a business? Bookkeeping, marketing, advertising, web site, business budgeting etc? Of course it's important to be able to,actually do the job but that's only part of the whole. It's very easy to be a busy poor man. As far as capital, you need more than you think. As said, 6 x your current net income would be a good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to General information and chat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock