Search the forum,

Discuss Gland Nut cant be loosened or tightened in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, have a small leak from a Radiator valve so wanted to pack the gland nut. I cant loosen or tighten the gland nut, any recommendations on getting it to move?

I am thinking WD40 and/or try loosening when the heat is on, am i going down the right path with these ideas or do you have any other suggestions?

I know i should just replace valve but at present im not planning/hoping on doing that just yet.

Yep WD may help , but be careful because some old rad valves look like you can pack the gland nut , but the valve falls in bits and waters everywhere lol

Thanks for the response.
Valves are all the same in house and have managed to nip some up tight and others i have taken out and packed with no issues to the valve.
Just worried that i might break the top of the gland nut. If i were to break the top off the gland nut, would it just be close the valve and that would stop the water leaking until i replaced valve?

Just " work" the nut carefully both ways , close the valve first though

if you have repaired glands before then one drain down and replace them all wouldn't cost too much

As above , or you could try playing some heat on it then gentle pressure to shift it worth a try . kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gland Nut cant be loosened or tightened in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock