Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Gland Nut cant be loosened or tightened in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. magicdaps10

magicdaps10 New Member

Basically, have a small leak from a Radiator valve so wanted to pack the gland nut. I cant loosen or tighten the gland nut, any recommendations on getting it to move?

I am thinking WD40 and/or try loosening when the heat is on, am i going down the right path with these ideas or do you have any other suggestions?

I know i should just replace valve but at present im not planning/hoping on doing that just yet.

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yep WD may help , but be careful because some old rad valves look like you can pack the gland nut , but the valve falls in bits and waters everywhere lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. magicdaps10

magicdaps10 New Member

Thanks for the response.
    Valves are all the same in house and have managed to nip some up tight and others i have taken out and packed with no issues to the valve.
    Just worried that i might break the top of the gland nut. If i were to break the top off the gland nut, would it just be close the valve and that would stop the water leaking until i replaced valve?

4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Just " work" the nut carefully both ways , close the valve first though

5. quality

quality Plumber GSR

if you have repaired glands before then one drain down and replace them all wouldn't cost too much

6. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As above , or you could try playing some heat on it then gentle pressure to shift it worth a try . kop