Search the forum,

Discuss Glass shower walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

Hello guys,

i wanted to know if anyone of you has ever installed glass wall panels for a shower enclosure? If so how did you do it and what brands did you use ? How did you drill the holes for the shower heads etc .

kind regards

ron

I did two a few years ago, two identical but mirror image bathrooms. Very OCD client and everything had to be exactly positioned in both rooms.
They were quadrant showers with green painted (on the reverse side obviously) glass panels. The glass has to be toughened so any cutouts or holes have to be done before its tempered. No second chances so very VERY carefully measure everything you need drilled or cut, ie shower valve, rail, wall profiles, soap dish etc.
Allow for the fact that one panel will fit into the corner and the other will butt to it, and allow for a thickness of glass adhesive . Make sure you walls are spot on plumb as well.
Measure and double, no triple, check everything and draw a detailed plan of it all. Remember you cannot do any drilling, cutting or grinding once the glass is tempered so get it right first time.
Good luck.

BTW, I didn't use a " brand " , I got it done by a local glass firm.

Another thing to beware is that if the glass is a light colour you can sometimes see a trace of the adhesive dabs through the glass. The glass people will tell you it's completely opaque but I have definately seen it happen.

I did two a few years ago, two identical but mirror image bathrooms. Very OCD client and everything had to be exactly positioned in both rooms.
They were quadrant showers with green painted (on the reverse side obviously) glass panels. The glass has to be toughened so any cutouts or holes have to be done before its tempered. No second chances so very VERY carefully measure everything you need drilled or cut, ie shower valve, rail, wall profiles, soap dish etc.
Allow for the fact that one panel will fit into the corner and the other will butt to it, and allow for a thickness of glass adhesive . Make sure you walls are spot on plumb as well.
Measure and double, no triple, check everything and draw a detailed plan of it all. Remember you cannot do any drilling, cutting or grinding once the glass is tempered so get it right first time.
Good luck.

Hello Nick,

Thank you very much for the advise you have given me. Basically you will need to measure everything very accurate and get the holes and width cut by a company?

What adhesive did you use ?
What did you mean by measure and double but not tripple ?

What do you think about those shower panels aren't they a little easier to fit and drill ?

Walls are already done levelled and everything is measured. So just thinking about glass or those shower panels which you can stick to the wall. I have chosen a darker colour for the backside so hopefully you won't see the adhesive :)

Thanks again

Regards Ronny

My local glass guy has started selling them , he always say glue them ( think its mirror bond he recommends) . The glass is sprayed what ever colour is required and a backing is then stuck on the back of the glass which will take the glue .
Not done one myself yet but defo fancy it , if we move in the non too distant future I know where I will try some lol

Ronny,
It didn't read correctly , I just meant to say triple check everything.
I stuck them up with a clear low modulus silicon. That's what the glass guy recommended.
I suppose the plastic panels would be easier as you can drill them yourself but the glass looks much better.

Try this company bud they supply and fit turn out good work .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-03-10-58-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-02-03-10-58-24.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 39
I just use my local glass merchant, I make a template out of 6mm ply with all the holes etc I want in the right places. The customer can see it in position and when happy, I give it to my glass man. He cuts to size drills the holes, tempers it and puts a backing on it. Then use mirror adhesive to fix in place & leave for 24hrs before fitting anything to it. DO NOT Over tighten any fittings as the glass will shatter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glass shower walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
Hi Just moved into a house and in process of renewing sealant around the shower cubicle. Feel free to skip to the bottom to get the question! There’s a gap (20mm in length & 3mm height) at the bottom of the frame (where it meets the shower tray) closest to the wall that appears to have been...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, I have an alcove shower with a wall to wall measurement of 952mm. I need a bifold door and am looking at something contemporary, 8mm glass with black trim- Issue is that the lower spec limit of the door is 960mm. It seems to be the same with all (Yes I can get a 1000 bifold door in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close to each other but didn't use any joint sealant. When I asked him whether this will be an issue for future leaks he dismissed it. How worried should I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock