Search the forum,

Discuss Going Oil (certification) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoyalCrabs

Hi guys and girls, quite a while since I've posted.
Been working hard and saving as much as possible starting my business, getting it going, to go through with getting my Oil certificates (+ equipment for servicing etc).

I've had a look at the average cost of the courses and see there are multiple available,
Oil-
Firing introductory,
Storage Training,
Package Course,
Jet appliances,
Burner Training,
etc etc
& then equipment on top of that.

I thought I may have saved a few bob (few grand) for this but each course looks to be between 500 to 1k if not more.
Was wondering what route did most of you professionals go? Starting out with just servicing and keeping building the certifications / training or get it all done first? If so which ones did you prioritize ?

How much was it setting you back? Did you get loans out?

Sorry for ignorant questions, I'm reading up as well as asking just to get more direct answers..

Thank you in advance.

Speak to the manufacturers and get on as many free courses as you can. Then get your tickets then Oftec. Depends on what you are looking to work on to how much it will cost. If your not interested in aga and rayburns etc then don't worry about the vapourising (although I wish I had done it now as I am turning away jobs as I don't have the necessary qualifications which is also losing me servicing on pressure jet appliances.

My client base is pretty much Oil fired, there are quite a few Aga /Rburns about though!
Thank you for advice

I did my oil at Worcester Bosch in clay cross can't remember how much, think somewhere around £4-500 but that was a while ago. didn't do vaporising but then there aren't that many near me,

Was it the one course that got you the certs to install and service etc ?

Yes, 101,105& 600 like anything though gives you the basics then it's all down to experience.

Im doing course next month. £1037inc for 101,102,105, 600

I'm about to look because I think mine is about to run out, that's a lot of money. Perhaps instead of cowboy builders on the television they should do a programme on how much it costs to actually get qualified and to stay qualified.

I'm about to look because I think mine is about to run out, that's a lot of money. Perhaps instead of cowboy builders on the television they should do a programme on how much it costs to actually get qualified and to stay qualified.

God, it is pretty scary, I'm spending pretty much all my savings on this when /if it happens. I'm renting with my gf and only just finished paying off my loan for my qualifications I completed a good 4 years ago. I've only recently gone fully self employed (running a 2nd job in a shop while I built up a customer base) but always wanted to work on boilers. So many customers ask me if I do servicing but alas, its just more money ! Worth it though, right (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely worth it. Good luck with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going Oil (certification) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock