Discuss Going to Merchant is like a lottery? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_

The other day I was at a merchant (not a chain but independently run merchant) and overheard (quite hard not to as he was quite loud) a guy F'ing this and blinding that and manage to knock off over 30 quids off his parts. Apparently, the merchant tried to charge him £117 quids for the parts he wanted but by kicking a whole loadsa fuss he got them for 80 quids. I don't know why the merchant tried to pull one on him as he apparently a regular, and also he's apparently in the trade long enough to know better. Are merchants really that crooked out there? :)

Maybe he is always a difficult customer and they enjoy winding him up?

you are probably right actually because he does look quite funny actually, i.e. so full of himself and loud mouth :)

It sometimes pays to be a bit outspoken in the merchants. When I'm in HWOS I don't need to but in Jewsons it's just to let them know they can't take the p.

Do you Jewsons for plumbing gear much? They're expensive for normal stuff I find, I'd need to be desperate to go there I'd even go to travis Perkins before I'd go to them

Bulk of gear comes from toolstation. Jewsons is literally 1/2 mile from the door and round the corner from the local independant. Only use Jewsons for stuff that crops up, used to be build center until they were bought out. They carry a good plumbing selection but sometimes can try to extract the urine. Last week they tried to charge me just under a fiver for a yorkshire bent tap connector :)

I used to arrive at crib time in the merchants with the occasional bag of donuts or McDonalds muffins, it worked wonders for my discount.

Are merchants really that crooked out there? :)

Nah.

highwayman2.jpg

We use 2 independant merchants and one of the big ones, plumb center. all are good but plumb center are always dearer on almost everything and thats with good terms to. Bought some black soil fittings from plumb center, they didnt have a slip coupling (or one i could knock the stoppers out) so went to gibbs and dandy..£12 plus vat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going to Merchant is like a lottery? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello there, I have quite a story and a looking for some advice here. On Thursday during the cold snap our hot water stopped working (in the...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov)...
Replies
Views
Hi all, a little advice and validation of current advice (from dad). So boiler has been loosing pressure with an error code of E119. The pressure...
Replies
Views
Had to switch off an old fellas heating today as he had no fixed ventilation for warm air unit, tried to argue the benefits of letting him use it...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have an issue with my bathroom sink. It's been "blocking" regularly, maybe once a month, for at least 3 years. The sink fills with...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock