Discuss Gravity H/W Pumped C/H in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

Can someone clear up a puzzle that has developed in my very confused brain.

On a gravity hot water system with a pumped central heating the hot water has to be on to work the central heating.

There is no control on the cylinder so it is controlled by the boiler stat, if a 2 port valve is put on the primary flow to the cylinder and is now controlled by a cylinder stat. How does the central heating work, if it is only on when the hot water is on?

I'm missing something very small and I'm sure its how it wired and functions together but I can't get my head round it.

At the risk of rambling:

Central heating is on and H/w, H/w satisfied so valve shuts, central heating is calling for heat so is directly wired to the boiler and pump.......(but c/h only works when h/w is on)

So, can someone explain this to me please:confused:

Can't do it that way - the gravity circuit must be unrestricted for a gravity DHW. You have to modify it to a fully pumped S plan system.

With a Gravity Hot Water and Pumped Central Heating you can either have HW only or HW & CH. As there is no control on the HW it will always be on with the CH.

If you add control i.e. 2 port valve then it should be possible to have CH only but the controls would have to be wired with 2 valves one for CH and one for HW.

As WHPES says it should be converted to a fully pumped system

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both, the fog has cleared.

There was a reason I was confused, it can't be done.

I'm much happier now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gravity H/W Pumped C/H in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock