Discuss Gravity Hot Water ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaw

Post copied from plumbing forum

Hi

Its now 11:05pm and I can't see the wood for the trees!

I have visited a customer today who wants to replace their old Ideal E type RS 50 with a more modern and efficient floor standing boiler on a fully pumped Y plan system (Obviously avoiding the possibilty of "pumping over"). The current system from what I can see is gravity HW and pumped CH. Thinking about it tonight, what I can't get me head around is the following:

The property is a bungalow. The boiler is in the garage and the existing HW (gravity?) flow pipe rises from the boiler into the loft space. It then travels horizontally before dropping down to the top connection of the hot water cylinder in the bathroom. The return pipe to the boiler is then visa versa from the bottom connection of the cylinder. How can gravity work in this situation when the pipes in effect go up, across and down in both directions? Or am I being totally thick !

My answer would be to convert the current system to a sealed system but am looking at all avenues at the moment

Any ideas welcome, Thanks

Post copied from plumbing forum

Hi

Its now 11:05pm and I can't see the wood for the trees!

I have visited a customer today who wants to replace their old Ideal E type RS 50 with a more modern and efficient floor standing boiler on a fully pumped Y plan system (Obviously avoiding the possibilty of "pumping over"). The current system from what I can see is gravity HW and pumped CH. Thinking about it tonight, what I can't get me head around is the following:

The property is a bungalow. The boiler is in the garage and the existing HW (gravity?) flow pipe rises from the boiler into the loft space. It then travels horizontally before dropping down to the top connection of the hot water cylinder in the bathroom. The return pipe to the boiler is then visa versa from the bottom connection of the cylinder. How can gravity work in this situation when the pipes in effect go up, across and down in both directions? Or am I being totally thick !

My answer would be to convert the current system to a sealed system but am looking at all avenues at the moment

Any ideas welcome, Thanks

Draw it and post it, it doesn't make any sense???? Not certain why you are worried, would you not be pumping those 22mm HWS F/R anyway, sealed system auto air vent in roof space etc etc, as someone says didn't work anyway unless by some miracle, there would be zero circulating head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gravity Hot Water ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back