Discuss Has anyone set up in business recently in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cwrplumbing

Hi guys has anyone set up in business recently and if so how successfull have you been in getting your customers.

I set up 6 months ago it's going well just starting to pick up now. I kept my ear open for any work painting hanging doors and such and just told them I went to college doing plumbing now all my work is plumbing pretty much.

What is the best way to get customers ? I have been working in the plumbing & heating industry for the past 15 years. Iam very good at what i do when it comes to plumbing & heating. I would like to know how to make it in the self employed world as i have always worked for a company, Anyone got any constructive ideas on how to make that transition?

Of course mate it is very fulfilling to work for yourself. The best way for me is to walk around in my work trousers live and breath it don't turn off at 5 turn off to sleep even then if you forgot something get up and go write it down. I know it's vague I will try and give you some more tips...Alot of people on here say don't advertise in the yellow pages waste of money they much prefer local paper. things like "immediate attention , no job too small 15 years experience reasonable rates." sounds good. Look around at other tradesmen like electricians see what stands out to you. Speak to other tradesmen tell them your a plumber just starting out and you will subcontract for them for cheap just to get started. Joiners and builders subcontract the most I've noticed. get a list of local tradesmen ring them up. Hope it helps dude.

my big problem is that I work for a big company so i need to put in place were I can do the self employed bit part time for, probably 12 months I havent got th b***s to leave and go do it, any other suggestions on how to tackle this part time. would it be a case of go hand out leaflefts door to door etc.

Ah I see sometimes bravery is poorly masked stupidity lol. Good idea not to go solo just yet mate well done.

Part time hmmm....Leaflets do work but very slowly something like 1 in 100 you'll get a return. Is there no way you can just give the customers your company has your card and say you'll do it cheaper? I've heard a lot of people do that and it works.

Hi.The prime difference between empoyed and self employed is cashfow and getting paid as the work is completed. Credit in my opinion is no longer an option for your customers. Make that clear on day one. Just draw a wage from you self employed activities and reinvest in your business with the surplus. Do not be afraid to knock on doors to get work and improve communication skills along with accounting/bookkeeping. Good Luck

People have done this and have come & gone. I have seen this too many time's and its a route I wont go down but thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might get rid of the lads who work for me, just in case they follow CWRs advice advice and steal my customers !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Has anyone set up in business recently in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

F
i have just finished my city and guilds plumbing course. this has set me up for my nvq. but i can find NO ONE in my area or surrounding willing to...
Replies
Views
grey.squirrel
G
M
Hi. I really have very little (ok, make that "no") knowledge of central heating whatsoever. Perhaps someone can help me. My mother-in-law...
Replies
Views
solorider
S
I just wondered how other people have found sites like 'Rated People'. I recently signed up to try and generate some more business but I'm very...
Replies
Views
JULIED444
J
C
Hello all, I am considering joining Trust a Trader as a plumber and the price is £495 per year, even more than Yellow Pages. Now the guy I...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
J
Hi guy, I'm not too sure if this is the right place to put this, but i am 19 years old, I have been driving my own car just over a year and have...
Replies
Views
Back