Discuss Has anyone set up in business recently in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
No engineers have tried to take the companys customers. Dropping off leaflets feels a safer bet LOL

Lol it was my advice it is one way of building up business whether it's ethical or not....well it's not really lol

No but sounds good HA HA HA HA HA

It would be easy as i am a boiler breakdown repair engineer as well as a wet plumber, I go to about 40 customers a week to repair their central heating systems or leaking wc for example. There is the honest customers that will ring the office and advise that the engineer said they would do the job cheaper.LOL

Lol well I see what you mean. Just speak to the ones who aren't happy with the company haha

I find most who set up rarely understand how much outlay is needed in the advertising area, sure after a few years you don't need to advertise at all especially if it's ch installs and everything works off recommendation. You will be looking at spending ÂŁ500 -800 a month on advertising alone if you are in a big city on start up , there is so much competition it is not even funny, forget the first page of google if you are not at the top you will get nothing . There is a lot i speak to saying they are dry for work and when I ask how much they spend on ads they say ÂŁ100 a month and oh i have been out flyering and not had anything from it ! I know you wont , then this just makes them think oh i'll just drop my price and do it for less because they grasping for work. Fact is if you are looking to pull in over 3k a month then advertise like crazy. I think there was a day when you could just get a yellow pages add for a grand and thats enough , nowadays everyone is online or people find you from the craziest of places, had a job two days ago from a flyer I handed out in 2006!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there CRW. I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. I'm wanting to start up on my own but scared ****less of making the jump. I've done bits here and there for family and friends and think I can make a name for myself as a business. I am definitely taking the safe bet and doing it as a second job. I work full time for a company doing reactive maintenance and servicing on schools. I'm finally getting my builders butt in order and getting the ball rolling. Just remember you need your own insurance for your own jobs. I've found it for about ÂŁ250 including hot works for the year. Have a look on this site in the insurance part and get some quotes. It will be hard and you will have to do a lot of advertising, vista print is cheap for business cards, van magnets ect. Best bet is post the cards yourself when you get time and target posh areas. That way you can charge them that little bit more. The key thing you need to do is every job you do. Put the profit to one side and use it to get your materials for the next job and so on. At the end of the day as long as you've got your main wage coming in. Any extra money you make from self employment stick it to one side and build up enough money for when you do go it alone.

hope it helps pal and good luck.

Yeah good luck macca , good plan and attitude , though I will say every time I meet a tiler or spark that hands me a vista print 250 cards free crappy little business card it goes straight in the bin. Spend ÂŁ50 on some that look good as people will know you have just set up otherwise.

Cheers John will bear that in mind. Do you know any good printers in Leeds then? I won't post them on your turf lol.

i got ot the net , goodprint. Haha did'nt notice you were in leeds, where abouts are you? do you do gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Has anyone set up in business recently in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock