Discuss Heating System Efficiency in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shearsy

Hello all,
I currently have a Worcester 28si heating 14 rads. Its underpowered and is costing me a fortune! The system has TRV's at the minute and I was wondering...

How easy is it to connect one or multiple room stats to it considering its a combi? if possible at all.
Could I control individual rads with zone valves and a room stat?
Is there a system which would effectively covert the combi into a system boiler on the heating side?
I will be changing the boiler in due course because I'd like to incorporate some renewable technologies eventually.
So I'm looking for a quick cheap method of making the system more economic and efficient. I was thinking of adding room stats and zone valves to key radiators (lounge, main bedroom, kitchen).
Is it all a ridiculous idea?

I don't see what you mean by converting the combi to a system boiler on the heating side?

If the boiler is undersized, I also don't see what you would acheive by having different zones on your system? Yes you could zone it, but to what end?

If you want to incorporate some renewables into the system, are you thinking for the heating or just the DHW?

Finally, an under powered boiler working flat out will cost you roughly the same as an adequatley sized boiler ticking over. It's all about gas consumption really. You'll just get better performance.

Last edited:
I guess that the size of boiler isn't really an issue then?
With regards to the other questions, can a worcester 28si be used in conjunction with room stats and zone valves?
The renewables I would like to use would be solar thermal for hot water and and air source heat pump for heating (I realise that AWHP requires a lower flow temp than conventional heating).

Yes you can zone it and it would make sense . ie Zone upstairs from downstairs and control them seperately with prog room stats.
If you are considering renewables in the future it is then simple to add another zone to something like a twin coil cyl for solar

Thanks for the answers chaps, at least I know which direction to go in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating System Efficiency in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock