Discuss help appreciated on best design option for kitchen sink/appliance waste trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

growfins

Hi all

I'm building a new kitchen and I'm at the stage of planning out changes to the waste connections for a new sink. I'd appreciate some advice on best practice for the sink trap connections to the current 40mm waste supply.

The new sink is deeper than the old one, but I reckon a p trap would connect at the same vertical level to the current waste pipe.

However I also need to add in waste for a dishwasher. If I use a p trap with a built in appliance spigot tee, I reckon the increased depth on the inlet side will position the appliance tee lower than the waste by about 50mm.

Any advice on the best thing to do here ?

This is what I'm thinking is possible:

a. Ignore a trap with a built in appliance spigot and go for a separate trap for the DW, positioned further up the waste pipe.

b. Use a trap with a built in spigot as it may not be a problem - as long as the sink bottom is higher than the waste supply and the outlet pipe from the trap doesn't end up going up hill towards the waste.

c. Try and lower the waste pipe whilst maintaining a good fall to the stack. The length is around 1.3m and I think I currently have about 30-40 mm drop over the length. trap.jpg

I've attached a pic to hopefully help make clearer. Any advice is appreciated, as is also any wisdom on the magic workings of good trap planning in general.

Do you have access to the soil stack, if so you could cut in a new position for the waste pipe and fit it at a height that suits the sink.

Thank you for the reply.

I can access the stack, but it's an old cast iron one in an internal cavity inside the house. As I only might need to drop the waste pipe level by a matter of 50mm or so I was trying to avoid that.

Excuse the ignorance at this end, but am i correct that anything connected on the inlet side of the trap needs to be at a higher level than the outlet and waste pipe side or is there a little tolerance here ?

And should I also aim for a slight gradient in the pipe between the trap and the waste pipe ?

You should have a self cleaning gradient but not too steep to siphon the trap.

Thanks. Any recommendations for the gradient required on a 40mm waste pipe for a length of 1.3m ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help appreciated on best design option for kitchen sink/appliance waste trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock