Discuss Help Guys please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

popeye1970

[FONT=&quot]hi my son is currently studying an NVQ level 2 course at the local college three days a week, well they recommended that he get this disc to help revision, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plumbing Technical Certificate Level 2 Revision Pack [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]but he is getting scores of like 95% to 98% when he is doing this but when it comes to doing the exams he has only passed 1 out of 5 so was wondering if this would be better.

Prepare for the plumbing Gola exam.

Really at a wits end with it really, the college are saying he may have to drop a level but when it comes to the exams he said the questions are nothing like the revision disc.

guys your help will be much appreciated and may just get the kid back on course as he seems to be beating him self up now over the fact that he is doing all this revision and not getting any where with it.[/FONT]

Hi,

If you mean [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.learnatrade.co.uk%2FAAPages%2FLevel2.html"]this[/DLMURL] is the CD you've already got, then you've already got the best revision material you can get for this course.

The vast majority of the questions that are on the CD, are on the exam. Perhaps your Son is memorising the answers rather then reading the question and then answering it. Maybe he should try covering up the answers with a piece of card, reading the question, answer it in his head and then select it on screen if it is there.

The [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.learnatrade.co.uk%2FAAPages%2FGolaPrep02.html"]GOLA[/DLMURL] CD you mentioned, is worth purchasing as it will help him on his final exam. It also has some questions that are not on the first CD, so he should also use this.

I think he will also need this book.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
as I have posted in this thread http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/1578-health-saftey-exam-questions.html

The revision disc is not enough to pass the exams, it does give basic questions but as the exams are online they are so random and can cover a wide range, I did the Plumbing Process and had at least 5 questions on WRSA Reg and you only start to learn that when you are on cold water.

The tutors at my college have warned everyone that the learnatrade and even the one you get with the Heinemann book is not enough, the exams are getting harder, out of 60 people at my college doing Level 2 only 3 people have passed all 3 first time, me being one.

Hope this has helped.

This post is from Norm, the writer and producer of the Learnatrade revision CDs.
I would not like to be a plumbing trainee this year! The problem that this year's intake has, is that this is the very first year that the City & Guilds have taken over the full exam process.
Up to this year, the only C&G Gola test you had to do was the one at the end of the year. But since September, ALL tests, both module/phase tests and the end of year exam are On-line Gola tests. And what has made it all worse, is that C&G have added a lot of questions into the tests which really have little to do with first year plumbing students.
What makes it even worse, is that teachers had no information about what any of these new questions were, so that what they taught last year, (and all the years before) is suddenly inadequate. And they only know what's missing after the student has taken the exam! Teachers are not allowed to see the exam 'papers', even when the exam is taking place, so they have to rely on students telling them what was in it! Now that seems to me to be a very strange system indeed.
As a result of this, there is a high failure rate.
But do not worry to much.
Even though it is very demoralising to fail after doing your best to learn everything, the good news is that you can keep taking the test until you pass. I've had feedback from colleges saying that the average number of resits is 4. (This is all very well at a college where it costs nothing to resit, but I feel for those guys at private training centres who have to pay anything up to fifty quid for a resit!!!)
Now.. With regard to our Plumbing Technical Certificate Level 2 revision software... Like the teachers, we can only react to what's already happened, and rely on students and teachers to feed us information.
However.. Apart from a small percentage of new questions.. nothing changes in the world of plumbing.. So most of the questions you will find in the tests will be the same as ever, and will be found somewhere in the Level 2 revision pack. But.. the C&G like to be cute by writing the questions in a long winded and obscure fashion, so you may not recognise the question when you see it. What you have to do is really read the question to find out what they are asking.
Our 'Prepare for the Gola Exam' CD shows you how to do this, and has some examples of complex questions for you to have a go at. It also has some exact replicas of the Gola tests (not the same questions, of course) which you can practice on so that when you do sit down for the official test you know exactly how it works and can get stuck in straight away.
If you need any information or help, you can always email me at [email protected]
Cheers
Norm

Our teacher said that its the first time they have been online and that the questions are picked randomly from 100s and cover different subjects, I was doing Cold Water and had a health and safety question so its difficult, the pass rate is very low in my class but its not hard, I have passed all 4 first time which I am pleased about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help Guys please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock