Search the forum,

Discuss Help understanding a leak issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge of the cold water pipe and explained that there were two options:
1. Get into the wall with a jackhammer to fix the problem; or
2. Install one of these (a transformer that changes from two taps to a mixer):
e0eb6a27-b846-4268-882e-4c5fe46e1b25.jpeg

However, I don't understand how the transformer mixer in the link gets around the crack in the bridge where other options don't? Also, the website describes the install as "an easy retrofit that takes less than 30 minutes, with no extra work such as breaking the tiles, drilling holes in the wall, plumbing, or piping" so I'm not sure the $350 for labour he quoted is fair either?

Is anyone able to shed some light on the issue? Thanks in advance.

We at least need some photos of your existing set up .

Also bear in mind the “less than 30 minutes” is designed to get you to buy their thing.

We have here a retrofit shower than claims a couple of hours - I’m very familiar with it and have fitted about 40, but it never less than 6 hours and often a long day to do all that is required to a good standard.

Even if it is 30 minutes - unless the guy lives in your house and all his tools are laid out in that room, the time involved will be a lot more.

Get a price for the job all in and if you think it’s too much get another quote or do it yourself if it’s really 30 minutes it must be simple!

We at least need some photos of your existing set up .

Also bear in mind the “less than 30 minutes” is designed to get you to buy their thing.

We have here a retrofit shower than claims a couple of hours - I’m very familiar with it and have fitted about 40, but it never less than 6 hours and often a long day to do all that is required to a good standard.

Even if it is 30 minutes - unless the guy lives in your house and all his tools are laid out in that room, the time involved will be a lot more.

Get a price for the job all in and if you think it’s too much get another quote or do it yourself if it’s really 30 minutes it must be simple!
Thanks Ben for the quick reply and feedback so far - it already puts some things in context. Here's a picture of the existing set-up:
20240109_170816.jpg

Reply to Help understanding a leak issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock