Discuss Help - Water pouring through hall ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vetinry

I've just got back from a business trip and when I came into the hall, there was a puddle of water on the floor and a steady flow coming from the ceiling.
I went straight upstairs and found a lot of water in the airing cupboard directly under the cylinder and have quickly traced the source as some sort of vent valve on the top pipe of the water heating coil.
I have been doing some plumbing recently but not on the hot water circuit.
But I have had to drain down the central heating circuit a couple of times and indeed at the weekend, after refilling, I've not got heat from one of the downstairs radiators.
So, all in all, very confused. Has the vent valve (not sure what it's called) simply failed, or have I caused a different problem which has caused pressure build up in the hot water heating coil circuit.
The water heating control was off when I got in but the CH was on and most of radiators are warm.
Any help very much appreciated
Steve

Hey gas man

It's got a little brass screw on the top but sat on top of a slightly larger (approx 1 inch diameter) barrel.
Is it an automatic air vent?

Steve

So, can I just drain system down again, replace and refill?

I was just surprised how much water was coming out of it.

Am I likely to have caused this by doing some plumbing on the CH circuits, or more likely just co-incidence?

Thanks

Steve

yes drain down and replace and yes you may have inadvertently caused it but thats the nature of aav s they have a Schroeder valve that sticks when you drain down and leaks when you re fill

OK - I shall get a new one tomorrow and get it fitted asap.

Thanks very much for your help

Much appreciated

Steve

dont forget thers 2 different thread types 3/8 bsp and 1/2 bsp

Hi. No need to drain down to much just whip one out and the new one back sharpish. (PTFE around thread)

I've sent my wife to plumbers merchant with the part to ensure we get the right size - wasn't sure which thread it was.

I've just drained the system down sufficiently to get the AAV off and thanks for the reminder to wrap the thread in PTFE before replacing.

Now just have to get the heating back on so that I can dry out ceiling etc.

Cheers

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help - Water pouring through hall ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock