Discuss Help With Garden Manhole Ant-Vermin Valves & Solutions! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bazzy

Hi All,

We had a serious rat infestation in our home which I am trying to address. They were coming in via the drains from the manhole at the front of out house.

This manhole is shared between us & our neighbours - our waste exits go off at an angle to our house & there is a straight run to goes to the neighbours house. The rats were using all these pipes to come & go as they pleased. One of our pipes was deemed to be broken/dead & was also used by the rats to gain entry into the house. It has now been cemented up by the drain people.

In order to stop the rats using the other pipe to get back in our home, I will be fitting a rat repelling one way non return valve which come in the standard 4" size. When fitted, the rats will still be able to travel down the run that leads to my neighbours house all the way to the back to a manhole in our garden. from there, they can travel via the exit from my neighbours side & straight into the exit back into mine.

My neighbours son will not allow any rat deterrent valve to be placed at the front manhole as he does not want to spend any money even though he knows there is a rat problem that affects us both.

I cannot place the 4" one way valves in the garden manhole as the two exits are much smaller & I cannot find anything similar that will block the rats from entering them.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone knows of one way valves that will fit these smaller exits and/or any suitable products/solutions that will work effectively in keeping rats from entering the garden manhole from my neighbours exit & if by chance any do, then stop then getting into the exit that will lead them to back to my home.

Many Thanks,
Bazzy.

Front Manhole
IMG_0633.jpg

Garden Manhole
IMG_0703B.jpgIMG_0690B.jpgIMG_0695B.jpgIMG_0700B.jpg

You spoken to the council about this rat problem, think neighbour wouldn`t have any choice if they get involved.

You spoken to the council about this rat problem, think neighbour wouldn`t have any choice if they get involved.

Hi,

We take care of his elderly mother much of the time & he only visits once a week if that - If I can avoid any formal approach, I would like to try that first as he can very very short with her & she is very nervous of upsetting him.

I am also concerned that he might stop us visiting her & then we will not be able to check up ob her to see if she is OK & needs anything - she is quite old with health issues and relies on us somewhat.

If I have no other options then I might have to go down that route but thought I would see if it can be sorted without any aggro!

Bazzy

Fair point Baz and fair play to you for careing about a neighbour.

Just out of curiosity, how are the rats actually getting into your home from the sewage system?

Hi,

They are coming in from the main road sewers via the pipe above the interceptor (now bunged up) and also the interceptor as well according the drain people. From there they were travelling up the two pipes that lead to out house one of which was broken/collapsed. They then dug a large hole into the front wall of the house into a room (garage conversion) with a concrete floor.

From there, they channeled a path through the concrete floor until they reached the original house floor which has wooden beams & made entry points in the cupboard under the stairs, in the kitchen & sink in the back room.

They are under the floors & walls in all areas of the ground floor & have even made access to the cavity in the conservatory roof between the plasterboard ceiling & roof tiles. They are definitiely having access to pretty much all of the house drain system to travel about.

If you refer to the pic of the front manhole I posted, they enter the drains to our house from the road sewers & into the cavity they created in the pics posted below:

Bazzy,

IMG_0595-B.jpg IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0629.jpg IMG_0626.jpg IMG_0633.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help With Garden Manhole Ant-Vermin Valves & Solutions! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock