Search the forum,

Discuss Help with Ideal Concord CX boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Faff

In our very old listed building shop we have an Ideal Concord CX boiler.

The radiators downstairs all come on and are lovely and warm but all the upstairs are staying cold. The overheat light has come on on the boiler. I have pressed thes overheat reset button and it seems to light the boiler but after a time the light comes on. This doesn't seem to make the downstairs radiators go off as they stay warm and it just upstairs. I have today gone round and bled all the radiators which has made no difference.

i could understand the boiler being faulty if none of the radiators worked but don't get why downstairs is ok and upstairs isn't.

any ideas?

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

You have a circulation problem, maybe zone valve,(2 port valves) or pump not working properly. This puts insufficient flow through boiler, hence cut out on over heat stat. Make sure isolation valves either side of pump are full open. The boiler itself is simple and robust and unlikely to be cause of problem.
TRVs on downstairs rads closing down and restricting flow. Temporary fix if you can't get circulation to upstairs rads. Remove downstairs TRVs and set boiler dial to 2.

Last edited:
You have a circulation problem, maybe zone valve,(2 port valves) or pump not working properly. This puts insufficient flow through boiler, hence cut out on over heat stat. Make sure isolation valves either side of pump are full open. The boiler itself is simple and robust and unlikely to be cause of problem.
TRVs on downstairs rads closing down and restricting flow. Temporary fix if you can't get circulation to upstairs rads. Remove downstairs TRVs and set boiler dial to 2.

Will have a look at the Manul as not sure where the valves are in the pump. I assume when you mention to set boil dial to 2 you mean the thermostat control knob

Your pump is likely to be a large ported version. The isolation valves will be the gate valves either side. Most likely fault is 2 port valve, somewhere along pipework not opening.
Caution:- Although turning electrics off to boiler should isolate other controls, do not take it for granted in old building and check for voltage before removing heads.

Your pump is likely to be a large ported version. The isolation valves will be the gate valves either side. Most likely fault is 2 port valve, somewhere along pipework not opening.
Caution:- Although turning electrics off to boiler should isolate other controls, do not take it for granted in old building and check for voltage before removing heads.

Ok thank you

If you say that you bled the upstairs rads and they are full, I can't see it being a stuck ball valve causing your problem. If that was the case, the system would have had to empty to a level that affected circulation.

Are they full ?

I'd be inclined to think, faulty zone valve, pump ( possibly).

Can you you give us a bit more info ?

What size of pipework is this ?
Is this a domestic property ?
What size CXA is it ?
Are all upstairs rads stone cold ?
Did this happen all of a sudden or was it gradual?

Last edited:
The F&E tank will be a small header tank situated above the level of the highest radiator usually in the loft, or at ceiling height if roof is flat. As above, if rads can be bled it should not be the problem,however, it is the easiest thing to check and eliminate before seeking solutions elsewhere.

The F&E tank will be a small header tank situated above the level of the highest radiator usually in the loft, or at ceiling height if roof is flat. As above, if rads can be bled it should not be the problem,however, it is the easiest thing to check and eliminate before seeking solutions elsewhere.

Its all above so will show your posts to somene that may know, thank you for your help

Its all above so will show your posts to somene that may know, thank you for your help
Invest in a heating engineer who will explain your system and service your boiler. When the thermocouple fails, which can be expected every few years, you will then have a contact to call rather than a cold shop. Essential that ventilation to boiler has not been compromised and remains adequate. Also checks to spillage and flue.
"MAY KNOW" and gas boilers don't mix too well.

Last edited:
You will need a commercial gas engy and not a domestic

You will need a commercial gas engy and not a domestic
The Concord CX 40: CX 50: CX60 are clearly identified in the MIs as commercial boilers.
However, theUser PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it Definitions Revised April 2016, defines commercial work as:-
"gas fired commercial boilers, single or in groups greater than 70kW(net)". The implication is that with a commercial boiler less than 70kW other considerations define commercial work in the same manner that work on a domestic boiler can be commercial, dependant on pipework and meter. If this anomaly has been clarified I would welcome someone putting up the link.

The Concord CX 40: CX 50: CX60 are clearly identified in the MIs as commercial boilers.
However, theUser PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it Definitions Revised April 2016, defines commercial work as:-
"gas fired commercial boilers, single or in groups greater than 70kW(net)". The implication is that with a commercial boiler less than 70kW other considerations define commercial work in the same manner that work on a domestic boiler can be commercial, dependant on pipework and meter. If this anomaly has been clarified I would welcome someone putting up the link.

My understanding is if it says commercial must be a commercial gas safe engy

But if you have 3 domestic boiler under 70kw you can work on them on a domestic ticket

Unless the manufacturer has categorised the appliance as commercial.

If Manufacturer says it's commercial, I would go off that, regardless of what Gas Safe's definition of things this week !

I thank you all for your prompt responses.
If the forward slash,/, after boilers was replaced with, &, the definition would read:-
"commercial boilers & single or groups greater than 70kW(net)"
This would remove the ambiguity.

I thank you all for your prompt responses.
If the forward slash,/, after boilers was replaced with, &, the definition would read:-
"commercial boilers & single or groups greater than 70kW(net)"
This would remove the ambiguity.

But would also nail it down which as you know gas safe don't like :D or they would say down to each engineers opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with Ideal Concord CX boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock