Search the forum,

Discuss Hep20, brittle grab rings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Last year sometime I went to an emergency caused by a failed Hep20 fitting, the grab ring (green) had become very brittle and was in little pieces inside the fitting, it also crumbled in my hand. The pipe was mains hot water by unvented cylinder.

Kind of forgot all about that until yesterday when working on a bathroom, I removed a section of pipework and the grab rings were the same and fell apart when the pipe was pulled out. These were not leaking though, and from vented cylinder at no more than 65 degrees.

I know Hep20 are always redesigning these fittings and I'm sure any problems have been ironed out but it makes you wonder?

Anyone else noticed this on the green grab rings (normal grey bulky fittings)?

Last year sometime I went to an emergency caused by a failed Hep20 fitting, the grab ring (green) had become very brittle and was in little pieces inside the fitting, it also crumbled in my hand. The pipe was mains hot water by unvented cylinder.

Kind of forgot all about that until yesterday when working on a bathroom, I removed a section of pipework and the grab rings were the same and fell apart when the pipe was pulled out. These were not leaking though, and from vented cylinder at no more than 65 degrees.

I know Hep20 are always redesigning these fittings and I'm sure any problems have been ironed out but it makes you wonder?

Anyone else noticed this on the green grab rings (normal grey bulky fittings)?

Yes saw a few fail due to this
Think that's why they changed to many faults

Suppose theres alot to be said for the solid metal grab ring like Polyplumb and the Conex ones have them I believe?

Scary thoughts... just think how many are hidden away and crumbling... Hep used to offer 50 year guarantee on there pipe & fittings i thought, not sure whats that worth mind.

Everyone these days seems to mump their gums about how good Hep20 is over Speedfit. Disagree with that and I don't think that they're worth the extra cost either.
Conex Cuprofit for me everytime for pushfit. Small footprint, looks just like a Yorky bend, better looking than big ugly plastic pushfit fittings and they're rock solid...try pulling one off even with the release tool! Plus can be used with copper, PBEX, PB pipe but you must ONLY use Conex Cuprofit inserts that are for each different pipe. Copper doesn't need an insert.

Yes 50 year guarantee with more get out clauses than you can shake a stick at. "the fitting we examined had a pipe in it that had been cut by a plumb center own brand plastic pipe cutter and not and official Hepworth cutter, gaurantee null and void" Ha Ha....

Last edited:
Which was the cheapest supplier of those Conex fittings again System?

Which was the cheapest supplier of those Conex fittings again System?
Limited suppliers Phil, could only get them on my Plumb Fix account. But good price all the same compared to plastic fittings.

Yes compression is out mate. I use JTM and the prices and service is second to none. Probably give them a wee call and see if they might stock Cuprofit.

I have also seen this on hep older stuff on CH pipework does not give you peace of mind. Installed miles of JG underfloor and never had one prob with it, the only trouble JG have, which is why they released their "grey" range is it is highly associated with the DIY market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hep20, brittle grab rings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock