Search the forum,

Discuss High frequency ringing noise coming from pipes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russe11

What could the cause?

All toilet cisterns have been checked, the water storage tanks also seem to have no issue.

The noise seems to be traveling along the pipes and the source could be where the supply enters the house, can't be a water meter failure since we don't have one, but could it be some sort of pressure valve??, if so where would you find it?

Since i've tried turning off all the water supplies internally the only option left is the stop !!!!, turning this off will enable to to narrow down the location of the issue however i'm stuck waiting on the the local supply company to come and see to it first since its not accessible.

Could it be adjusted or fixed or is replacement the likely option, if so whats the likely cost?

Hopefully there will be someone here that might be able to give some further insight...

try stradling your internal stop tap down a bit see how u get on with that it could be your washers in a ball valve or pipes not clipped properly

try stradling your internal stop tap down a bit see how u get on with that it could be your washers in a ball valve or pipes not clipped properly

the internal stop taps seem to make no difference, fully off or on or anywhere between. See like in any house much of the plumbing is out of sight, I think the source of the noise is traveling along the pipework, trying to get the location of the source is very difficult.

The ringing appears to be louder at night, now this may well be due to the absence of other noise, but I also think the increased pressure from reduced water use in the area means whatever is causing the noise is subject to greater pressure and therefore becoming more intense. Hence my thoughts of some pressure valve.

Could be completely wrong however :-(

which mixer tap has a slight drip?

No taps have a drip, I've checked every possible visible area for leaks/drips etc.

The situation/noise has got progressively worse over time.

(I've clicked re the ringing/phone lines joke above.)

is it the same sound in the day as it is at night or does it get louder at nite

I'd be inclined to turn off at the main, and then run off water from each tap and other outlet to see what happens to the sound. Turning the main back on to refill the system between each run off.

If the sound is being generated within the pipes, then it's likely to be either the pressure of the water causing some mechanical movement somewhere, or a mix of air and water. If its generated externally, then it's probably a pipe vibrating against something.

If the system is drained, with all appliances off, and the noise continues, then the pipework is the vehicle for the transmission of the sound and not the cause.

Is the sound louder above, upstairs or the loft, or below, and downstairs?

What does it sound like if you put a tube (a length of pipe) to your ear and on to exposed pipework, and in different parts of the building?

Likely to require a rather tedious process of elimination, combined with a lot of guesswork.

There are companies who used sophisticated sound tracing equipment to find leaks who might help, but they are usually very expensive.

is it the same sound in the day as it is at night or does it get louder at nite

The ringing appears to be louder at night, now this may well be due to the absence of other noise, but I also think the increased pressure from reduced water use in the area means whatever is causing the noise is subject to greater pressure and therefore becoming more intense.

Anyway the the supply company said they are best off digging up the road and replacing the stop, then the can run a test from there to see if there is a leak between the house and the road, which from what the engineer said its very possible that its the case there is a leak, which they will fix if it needs doing.

i had a customer with a slight drip every 10-15 secs on a kitchen mixer.
it sounded like a mermaid screaming, as load as a whistle and it hurt your ears!!

try isolating each out let with iso's!

Haha I think he took it in good humour though. Fair play :)

I've done far worse on other forums.

That aside thanks for all the suggestions, I shall work through them over the coming days, first job is gaining access but ripping out part of the kitchen once the stopcock has been replaced, they are going to dig up the pavement and replace it.

Could have been fun if a water leak had started and been met with the full of mud access out front.

Just to update, the water supply company came to replace the stopcock, started digging and water was flooding out, turns out there was a leak near the stopcock and the noise was traveling some 30m to the house and through all the plumbing.

Thanks to the contractors deciding to stick around and do the bigger job, being Friday and that, its all fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High frequency ringing noise coming from pipes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock