Discuss Hiring staff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
To all the people who have full time staff working for them. How did you go about finding the right candidate?
For the last 2 years I have always had full time subcontractors working for me. My current one is leaving to go and work for himself. So I am needing to find a replacement, where is the best place to look? I have always taken on people I have known and seen the quality of their work beforehand.

I am also deciding whether to stick to a subcontractor or take the plunge and take someone on properly and provide a van etc. Any advice from people who have been in my position previously?

Both work very well if you find the right person.

Both work disastrously when you find the wrong person.

Saying that, it's harder and more expensive to get rid of an employee than a subcontractor.

I am leaning more towards a sub contractor. The difficulty is, I don't really know where to look to find the right person. I have always known the standard of the other guys before I have asked them to come and work for me. I feel like placing an advert on a job site will obviously attract a lot of people, but I get the impression than more of them will be chancers than people actually any good.
Also the danger with a subby that I don't know is that they could easily leave for another job at no notice and could potentially look to poach customers etc. With someone taken on properly on the cards, I feel this would be less likely.

What area are you in? Maybe there's someone local on here that could help?

Based in Croydon/Purley area, but work all around South London and down to the coast.

Has no one got any advice on where to look to find the right person?

Also any tips would be good on what to put on the advert, need to start the process pretty soon as I have a lot of working coming up.

As Adam said pm Masood see what hes after and what you can offer might then suit both parties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hiring staff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock