Search the forum,

Discuss Hissing radiator and boiler noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radiatorhiss

Hello, I am new here so I hope this is posted in the correct forum. We have a combi boiler Greenstar 28i Junior and 2 issues since a leak in the boiler last year.

1) Hissing Radiator
2) Noise from boiler reverberating throughout house esp. upstairs

1) The radiators upstairs have started to hiss when the thermostat valve is on over 3 and half. If it's on below this the radiator doesn't stay warm. Usually it doesn't hiss when on over 3 and half and can be left on and stay warm. Since the leak in the boiler they cannot do this and the boiler more noisy too. The leak was repaired last year in the boiler. We have bled the pipes, lock shield adjusted and they are still hissing. One radiator has had a new thermostat value put on and it's worst since that happened but the person who did this won't replace it. We have been told the radiators don't need a power flush or cleanse. Can anyone help us please? Due to the hissing noise and sleep issues with the noise and the issue with the boiler (listed below) we have had no central heating on at night through the winter.

2) Since the leak last year in our combi boiler (which is in our downstairs utility room extension) we can now be hear in the bathroom and separate toilet upstairs the bedroom radiators hissing and boiler noise when they are on. If you turn them off the noise stops in the bathroom, etc. Slowly the hissing noise has gone into other rooms when the radiators are on and we can now hear the upstairs radiators when they are on when we are sat downstairs which we normally cannot hear. We have had someone out to look at this but all they can say is the pipe width at 8mm (microbore) is too small for the boiler we have. When the boiler was installed 4 years ago (by the same company) we were told the opposite and that the existing pipes were fine and would be for a long time. Also, the manifold was replaced during the repair from the leak. The person who told us about the 8mm pipes has said that it's a new configuration for the manifold due to EU rules, however, the boiler maker has said no parts have been adjusted. The boiler pressure is at 0.5 as anything above this and the noise reverberation gets worst and is very tinny. The noise is unbearable at times and we are cold at night as the noise is so loud we cannot sleep with the boiler on anymore which we use to be able to. Before the leak there was hardly any noise from the boiler through the house and we couldn't hear the noises we can now hear esp. in the upstairs toilet (which the noise is in the walls and more ticking too through the house.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

It is possible the repair wasnt done properly inside the boiler,perhaps the fix restricted the water flow through the system and you can hear it through out the house. Regarding radiators see if you can re balance them. You wont be able to check the boiler but balancing can be done by anybody. you-tube or Google it on how to.

for a start your boiler pressure should be at a min of 1 bar ideal 1.2 bar and i would be looking to replace the old 8mm maybe 10mm pipes with 15mm, if your not happy with a reapir that the company has done ask them to come back and explain to them or get another gse out to sort your pipework

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hissing radiator and boiler noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
When we moved into our house in 2016, the electric water heater popped loudly when heating. After awhile, I researched and realized that it was...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock