Discuss Hot water feed from cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hellfire

I've been advised that there is a minimum horizontal length, that the hot water feed from the cylinder needs to be before tee-ing into the vent/expansion pipe. Can anyone advise what this minimum length is?

I've fitted a Salamander flange to the HW cylinder and need to re-plumb the hot water take off pipe. I'd like to take the shortest/easiest route directly to the vent/expansion pipe but am concerned this may cause problems if it's shorter than the recommended length.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Only 450mm min when i went to school. But saying that i have had it shorter in a tight airing cub , and no probems !

If I take the most direct route, the horizontal length would be about 300mm, about 2/3rds of the recommended length. What problems would it likely cause if it were too short? Does anyone know why it is recommended at 450mm?

Hi. Parasitic circulation ( the ability of hot water to set up circulation currents in a single pipe) resulting in heat loss of the stored hot water. The 450/470 mm horizontal length provides sufficient friction to stop this gravity circulation. But please consider, with a 36" x 18" cylinder and a cupboard with just enough room to fit, how did the rest of the country comply, they did not all put a 90 degree bend in to achieve the criteria. Good Luck

450mm mate![/quote]
i am officially religated to the second best plumber on the forum.
thanks alot mate.
watch your back , i will be back on top again.:confused::confused:[450mm not 475m]:confused::confused:
surley the 450 is a maximum length of straight pipe its the bend in the pipe that stops the parasitic circulation its not realy much of a problem with temperature controlled hot water it realy harks back to the days of coal fired back boilers and cold houses
cooling at the edge of the pipes caused a ciculation in the vent pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water feed from cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock