Discuss Hot water only works when more than one hot tap turned on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Completely baffled by this problem and hoping someone out there can shed some light. Moved into a new home 8 weeks ago, had boiler checked and everything seemed fine. As of yesterday we suddenly found we had no hot water. We have now discovered that we can still get instant hot water but only if a second source is activated. To give an example, switch the shower on and the water will run cold for days but also switch the hot tap on the sink on and both sources have instant hit water. This isn't an issue upstairs as there are a number of hot water taps in close proximity but having to run upstairs to turn a tap on so that we can get hot water from the kitchen taps is driving us crazy. The hot water light on the boiler will only switch on when a second source is activated no matter what we try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So have I got this right?
Moved in 8 weeks back and all ok
Had boiler "checked" and all working ok
Then, yesterday you have this problem
So
What made you have boiler checked, was there any reason and when?

The more you say the easier it is for the guys & gals to help.

So have I got this right?
Moved in 8 weeks back and all ok
Had boiler "checked" and all working ok
Then, yesterday you have this problem
So
What made you have boiler checked, was there any reason and when?

The more you say the easier it is for the guys & gals to help.

Friend is gas safe registered and looked over boiler and everything else in the house just as a favour as we wanted to know if we should replace it for efficiency . There were no issues before or after this. He is currently away for almost 3 weeks and don't want to bother him on holiday if I can help it. It's a baxi combi boiler. He worked out it was about 17 years old but he also spoke to baxi and they still supply part etc. and all was working fine so he advised not to prioritise switch out (We have a lot of work to do in the house). On that note, an electrician was working in the house the day the problem startered if that may be of relevance. Check took place when we moved in around 8 weeks ago. System has been perfect until now with hot water being almost instant. Let me know if There is Any other info I could provide.

Friend is gas safe registered and looked over boiler and everything else in the house just as a favour as we wanted to know if we should replace it for efficiency . There were no issues before or after this. He is currently away for almost 3 weeks and don't want to bother him on holiday if I can help it. It's a baxi combi boiler. He worked out it was about 17 years old but he also spoke to baxi and they still supply part etc. and all was working fine so he advised not to prioritise switch out (We have a lot of work to do in the house). On that note, an electrician was working in the house the day the problem startered if that may be of relevance. Check took place when we moved in around 8 weeks ago. System has been perfect until now with hot water being almost instant. Let me know if There is Any other info I could provide.
Sounds like a fault with an internal component which will need a gas safe engineer to diagnose and repair.

Sounds like a fault with an internal component which will need a gas safe engineer to diagnose and repair.
Thanks. Just thought I'd best check to see if it was something obvious first. Will get someone to take a look then. Had a new boiler on a maybe list so might just bite be bullet now. Appreciate all of the replies guys. Especially on a Friday night. Thank you.

Thanks. Just thought I'd best check to see if it was something obvious first. Will get someone to take a look then. Had a new boiler on a maybe list so might just bite be bullet now. Appreciate all of the replies guys. Especially on a Friday night. Thank you.
If it's what I'm thinking of then it should be a relatively simple fix. It's not a fault I'd recommend changing the boiler over but that of course is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Hot water only works when more than one hot tap turned on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Milky hot water. Recently had a Viessmann 100-W combi boiler installed. Now when the hot water reaches any tap it is very 'milky'. This appears to...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Hi all Hope you can help We have a Gloworm Ultracom 38CXI combi boiler. During the Summer the taps and mixer shower run hot water consistently...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock