Search the forum,

Discuss How deep can adhesive cover a gap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have replaced a concealed shower and the new one and all works well. I have covered the hole I made, to remove the old valves with tile backer board which is 10mm, a little slimmer than the 12mm plasterboard used previously. I seem to have a deeper level behind the tile than before and have made one attempt at re-tiling but with a 10x10mm adhesive spreader, it didn't seem to provide enough depth to align with the other tiles.

I have seen alot of videos of tilers but they always seem to start with a dead flat wall which I dont.

I have heard about buttering the tile and was about to try buttering the back of the tile with the adhesive spreader as well as the wall to give me more volume behind the tile to keep in line with the other tiles. Is this the best way to do it?

I haven't done tiling before but only have 6 to put back in place.

Thanks Matt

Attachments

• 20220611_161628.jpg
    20220611_161628.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220614_142007.jpg
    20220614_142007.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220614_141959.jpg
    20220614_141959.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 12
You could skim the backer board first with tile addy and let it set or just use a bigger notch trowel eg instead of 6mm use an 8mm and always back butter tiles

Notch adhesive on wall, and notch it on the tile, you’ll need to experiment altering the angle of the trowel to get correct coverage. But once you’ve found it it should be easily repeatable.

Reply to How deep can adhesive cover a gap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock