Discuss How far can a Oil pump draw from tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
to the oil heads.

I'll be replacing an oil boiler in a weeks time. At the moment the oil line approximately 30meters from one end of the house right along to the other, bungalow.its feed is 10mm microbore.
ill be moving the boiler about 1meter more from where it is will this be an issue for the oil line?
When the oil tank is full, the oil level inside the tiger loop is about 10mm high?
Do you get 15mm microbore?

Sizing is different in oil. By going to 15mm you would cause more issues and if anything dropping down to 8mm would be better but stick with 10mm.

30 mtrs is nothing really and a lot is done by gravity or in your case the tiger loop.

30 metres is not too extreme length really.
The Tigerloop is an aerator device and designed to allow oil tank to be at a lower level than oil burner without causing problems.
Important that the Tigerloop instructions are adhered to regarding pipe sizing and also no high spots in oil pipe. As Millsy points out, the oil pipe on a lower oil tank should not be oversized in diameter.

I would be concerned more about how the original oil line is installed and the condition of it. Best to warn your customer in writing that the old oil line would be better to be replaced unless it has been properly installed (including sleeved) and also if it still remains in perfect condition, internally and externally.

You need to understand Physics. You need smaller not larger pipe. I would replace with 8mm. It's all in the OFTEC books and you should have covered it when you did your OFTEC course! If the flow is under gravity, then there is no issue with the distance. If under suction, then you will need a tigerloop. If under suction, then it's absolutely vital that flared fittings are used and not compression (but you should be of course using flared fittings not compression for everything on oil lines anyway)

You need to understand Physics. You need smaller not larger pipe. I would replace with 8mm. It's all in the OFTEC books and you should have covered it when you did your OFTEC course! If the flow is under gravity, then there is no issue with the distance. If under suction, then you will need a tigerloop. If under suction, then it's absolutely vital that flared fittings are used and not compression (but you should be of course using flared fittings not compression for everything on oil lines anyway)
Where have you been mate???

Can you tell me the reasons to why flared fittings seem to better than the standard compression fittings for oil?

Good question. I think basically they make a better seal and not as subject to movement to risk leaks.
But will let the others say what they know

Alright, well I always use compression and use brass sleeves with ptfe and heldight never had a leak and clip any pipework tight to a wall.

Reply to How far can a Oil pump draw from tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock