Search the forum,

Discuss How inefficient is this temperature pattern? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a large kitchen/dining area and I've measured the temperature. It's an interesting pattern... up and down.. and up and down... even though the thermometer is set at a constant temp. No night time set backs or anything like that... just inertia.

We have a GSHP and ancient controls (see forum post here) but I'm wondering whether it's a very inefficient to have the floor warmed up and cooled down, or whether it's not a big deal. It's about 14 hours from peak to trough.

Any thoughts!?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0100.PNG
    IMG_0100.PNG
    192.8 KB · Views: 14
Is that measured from the thermostat?
Where is the thermostat, or probe used for the measurements, in relation to other heat sources in the Kitchen, including windows?

It means very little on its own but its very normal for a traditional thermostat to control temp within a 2deg range. It could be that it takes 14h to get to temp or that it's effected by outside temp on 24h cycle (trough to trough).
Comparing to outside temps and times when heating is on would be much more telling.
Efficiency wise, would need to know output of system room sizes etc

It means very little on its own but its very normal for a traditional thermostat to control temp within a 2deg range. It could be that it takes 14h to get to temp or that it's effected by outside temp on 24h cycle (trough to trough).
Comparing to outside temps and times when heating is on would be much more telling.
Efficiency wise, would need to know output of system room sizes etc
Thank you! Unfortunately I can't easily do 'heating on' graphs given my system is from the 2015s, but I'll see what I can create. I think outside is a little less relevant because the peak to trough seems to happen at all times of day/night.

I'd want to replace the current (bi-metal?) thermostat with one that has a narrower hysteresis band or TPI. Ideally, one purpose-made for UFH with a floor sensor and setback programming. This will allow you to run the room at a lower average temperature without sacrificing comfort so, in this sense, your current system is 'inefficient'.

A tighter thermostat controlling the system should allow you to reduce the average temperature from 19°C to 18°C, which could save up to 11% of fuel (assuming average external temperature of 10°C. Using a setback period, e.g overnight will help further.

If the thermostat is reasonably new, you may be able to change it's mode / parameters by following instructions in the installation manual.

I'd want to replace the current (bi-metal?) thermostat with one that has a narrower hysteresis band or TPI. Ideally, one purpose-made for UFH with a floor sensor and setback programming. This will allow you to run the room at a lower average temperature without sacrificing comfort so, in this sense, your current system is 'inefficient'.

A tighter thermostat controlling the system should allow you to reduce the average temperature from 19°C to 18°C, which could save up to 11% of fuel (assuming average external temperature of 10°C. Using a setback period, e.g overnight will help further.
Interesting.. thanks! No idea how I'd do that without it costing a fortune... any ideas on how to retrofit those controls?

The GSHP is simple - it just tops up the buffer tank when it gets cold, but the controls (linked to the WLM3 wiring centre) are a nightmare :)

Interesting.. thanks! No idea how I'd do that without it costing a fortune... any ideas on how to retrofit those controls?

The GSHP is simple - it just tops up the buffer tank when it gets cold, but the controls (linked to the WLM3 wiring centre) are a nightmare :)
I doubt it's the problem, but check that the buffer tank is being maintained at a sufficiently high-temperature for the UFH before blaming the room thermostat.

It's a cost-benefit calculation. Will the cost of a new thermostat, or whatever is needed, be paid back by a 10% reduction in fuel over a period of, say five years? If not, it's probably not worth doing from a financial point of view.

Also, changes to controls don't always deliver all the expected cost saving in practice. You won't save a penny, for example, if the wife decides that the new stable 18°C room temperature is 'feels cold' and resets the thermostat to 19°C!

Reply to How inefficient is this temperature pattern? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock