Discuss How much to change a ballcock! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a client of mine in my village today to sort out a small leak. While there the lady told me a few weeks ago she came back from holiday and the cold water tank overflow was running. She couldn't find my number (she looked under 'P' for plumber but she had filed me under 'B' for Brown) so she called somebody from the yellow pages. A polish guy arrived, being an old house with dormer bedrooms the loft space is very restricted and he had to take out the F&E tank to get to the cold water tank. Once he had done that he went off for an hour to get a ballcock. Came back and fitted it and refitted the F&E tank. He was there less than 4 hours, bill £400. I said I would have to work for 3 days to charge her that sort of money.

Pop along to your local pound shop, buy a fridge magnet, then write your name and number on a piece of paper, pop back to the custards home, and stick all on the fridge.

That's a good argument to get the magnetic business cards from vista print to give to your regular customers

Went to a client of mine in my village today to sort out a small leak. While there the lady told me a few weeks ago she came back from holiday and the cold water tank overflow was running. She couldn't find my number (she looked under 'P' for plumber but she had filed me under 'B' for Brown) so she called somebody from the yellow pages. A polish guy arrived, being an old house with dormer bedrooms the loft space is very restricted and he had to take out the F&E tank to get to the cold water tank. Once he had done that he went off for an hour to get a ballcock. Came back and fitted it and refitted the F&E tank. He was there less than 4 hours, bill £400. I said I would have to work for 3 days to charge her that sort of money.

I'd say it serves her right she didn't try very hard did she !
If you're in the same village she could have knocked on your door or put a not through your letterbox.
some people have no loyalty. :thumbs_down:

sorry to interrupt your tales but how much is a reasonable price to change a ballcock?! I assume mine has just gone (I have water dripping from an overflow pipe anyway). I'm in Staffordshire

Cable Guy.

We do not discuss prices in open forum.

Charging a fair price for a fair job is not ripping someone off. Consider your overheads, van, tools, training, tax, professional affiliations etc, then how much you want to take home at the end of week. Use this to work out your hourly rate.

Hey thats one of the best responses I`ve heard for awhile, with an attitude like that I reckon your welcome back anytime.

No worries buddy, its just the prices vary so much across the country that what might be a fair price to a londoner could be an arm, leg and baby horse to a northerner, you dig?

Your best bet is to get recommendations of plumbers from your friends and family, word of mouth works wonders.

And remember, there is actually a thing as "Reassuringly expensive!"

Too cheap and they're probably a handyman with a set of molies!

No worries buddy, its just the prices vary so much across the country that what might be a fair price to a londoner could be an arm, leg and baby horse to a northerner, you dig?

Your best bet is to get recommendations of plumbers from your friends and family, word of mouth works wonders.

And remember, there is actually a thing as "Reassuringly expensive!"

Too cheap and they're probably a handyman with a set of molies!
And handyman is not a term anyone should use for someone who advertises himself as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much to change a ballcock! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock