Search the forum,

Discuss How to keep bills down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnHorton

I've been sleeping with 2-3 jumpers on recently and trust me even that doesn't always work. But turning on the heater at all hours is too expensive. So I've been looking for ways to increase energy efficiency of my house without any major expenses.
Apparently, walls, roof, doors, windows -- EVERYTHING loses heat!!! But there are ways to insulate them.

Do you have any ideas/advice/tips?

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been sleeping with 2-3 jumpers on recently and trust me even that doesn't always work. But turning on the heater at all hours is too expensive. So I've been looking for ways to increase energy efficiency of my house without any major expenses.
Apparently, walls, roof, doors, windows -- EVERYTHING loses heat!!! But there are ways to insulate them.

Do you have any ideas/advice/tips?

John

Is your property insulated? If not, do you qualify for a grant to get it done?

To keep heating bills at a minimum, just heat the rooms that you are using, i.e. turn the radiators right down in the rooms you are not using.

I fitted a RF room stat last winter and switched our double radiator in the lounge off on going up to bed, and took the RF stat upstairs. That combined with lowering the temperature in the hall (which is large and has a double staircase) made a big difference to the gas bill.

I also fitted a door closer to the lounge door (a tenner from screwfix) and that helped to keep the temperature in the lounge up through the day.

Bascially, the aim being to keep the boiler off as much of the time as is possible.

Hot water bottle, bed socks, trackie bottoms and a hat. Probably under a tenner if you shop around. That's your heat loss sorted.

try, jogging on the spot!.

seriously, get yourself a base layer, bottoms and top. there about a tenner at toolstation and the likes there seriously effective under normal clothing.

try to live in as little rooms as possible and concentrate the heat to the room your in.

A good woman.

Or, even betterer, a very, very bad one! ;)

Or a very, very big woman! The more body heat the better!
Just don't buy her dinner etc, or it sort of counteracts the heat savings. :grin:

Last edited:
or if cant afford a woman, two Labradors, benefit being you dont have to tell them you love them every two minutes to stop them rolling away, trouble is you probably love the dogs more than the missus in the end and they never nag, keep your tools safe, eat less (not true for a labradour!), GIVE A REASON TO GO OUT, TO GET TO THE PUB, I love my dogs!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the energy companies are doing free loft and cavity insulation, give your supplier a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to keep bills down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock