Search the forum,

Discuss How to make large connections? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PinkyPerky

Hi
I am about to plumb in a log boiler and accumulator tanks. The boiler as 2" iron flow and return and the accumulators have 11/4" connections. The Laddomat has 35mm conections. I am going to use 2" malleable iron elbows at the boiler with a malleable iron 2" to 11/4" reducer and then use 35mm copper tube throughout. The largest plumbing fittings I have used in the past were 28mm both solder and compression, and it is a long time since I used Boss White and hemp.
What would you recommend?

A few tight wraps of loctite 55 in the right direction and you can't go wrong, mate.

18s or even 24s, boss white and hemp 'cause you can always give a tweak backwards if need be with no worry of a leak, silly string is cleaner but it's never been my preference. Sounds like an interesting job, post some pics...

18s or even 24s, boss white and hemp 'cause you can always give a tweak backwards if need be with no worry of a leak, silly string is cleaner but it's never been my preference. Sounds like an interesting job, post some pics...
Hi Shorticus
What is the 18s and 24s?
I take it silly string is Loctite 55? Loctite 55 does say you can move after assembly
Someone suggested using PTFE with PTFE paste - any comments?

Hi
I am about to plumb in a log boiler and accumulator tanks. The boiler as 2" iron flow and return and the accumulators have 11/4" connections. The Laddomat has 35mm conections. I am going to use 2" malleable iron elbows at the boiler with a malleable iron 2" to 11/4" reducer and then use 35mm copper tube throughout. The largest plumbing fittings I have used in the past were 28mm both solder and compression, and it is a long time since I used Boss White and hemp.
What would you recommend?

defo use boss white and hemp, great stuff, you cannot go wrong, use your 24" stilsons

Hi Shorticus
What is the 18s and 24s?
I take it silly string is Loctite 55? Loctite 55 does say you can move after assembly

stilsons, or pipe wrench

7.0350---7.0356-Stilson-Pipe-Wrench.jpg

Hi fuzzy
I didn't know the jargon but did know what a stilson was:yes:

Hi Shorticus
What is the 18s and 24s?

As Fuzzy said, Stilsons, the number indicates the length in inches ergo the oompff you can get on 'em.

We call it silly string 'cause you can't break it with you hands like hemp, we all forget from time to time and we all have the missing digits to show for it :mad2: seriously, it's like trying to break piano wire!!

Don't use ptfe on barrel or iron fittings, even the slightest backward movement can cause it to leak

Don't use ptfe on barrel or iron fittings, even the slightest backward movement can cause it to leak
Thanks - thats where experience kicks in!!
How much hemp do I use and how do I lockit so it doesn't rotate on the male fitting?

Hi NatHow many turns and clockwise viewing end of male fitting?
It tells you on the roll how many turns you need for each size of pipe. Yes clockwise as you look at the end if pipe. I swear by the stuff and it's a lot less messy than using boss white and hemp in my opinion. After you've wound the pipe in use a hacksaw blade to cut off excess thread and then give it a blast with your blowtorch to burn off any last bits. Leaves a lovely neat finish.

Thanks - thats where experience kicks in!!
How much hemp do I use and how do I lockit so it doesn't rotate on the male fitting?

ah, now that's a little tricky to answer without actually showing you. There's a technique whereby you draw the hemp out of the hank or off the roll into small strands winding onto the thread clockwise and ensuring that the threads are filled, how much to use is really an experience thing, friction stops it from being pushed off if it's put on properly, then a smere of the white stuff...followed by cleaning your finger on your strides, you'll smell lovely trust me:charming:

Use Loctite 577 Its easier than any tape, thread or hemp

Yes make sure both male and female are clean

On threads over 1" just put 4 equal spots on

Its never failed me

My preference would be Loctite 55 and La-Co Slictite then stilsons. Then asking my mate to tighten them up properly as I'm not strong or heavy enough.

If its any help I usualy drag a hacksaw across the threads to prevent slippage, and I prefer boss white and hemp on any fitting over 3/4"
The only problem with Bosswhite and Hemp is after its been in for 30 years it can be hard to get back out, I recall trying to get some 3" steel out of an old converted Robin Hood boiler when I was an apprentice and with the help of some steel tube I managed to bend the handle on a pair of 42s!!!!!!!!!!!! got a hell of a rocket for that

Last edited:
Loctite 55 it's the dogs much prefer than hemp and bosswhite (flax and paste)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to make large connections? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone I wasn’t sure whether to post this in here or UFH but hopefully I’m posting this in the correct group. I’m in the throes of a full renovation and am currently designing the central heating system, I’m installing radiators (11 or 12 in total) and am going to run each rad from its...
Replies
Views
I have a Victoria Plumbing concealed valve with 3/4" and 1/2" female inlets/outlets. I need to connect male iron 90 degree elbows (with compression fittings to the pipework). Should I use straight or parallel threads into the valve? I am thinking that I can use straight if I use Loctite 55 cord...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock