Discuss Howto calculate radiator size for room in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaz

How do I calculate the correct radiator size to heat a room?
There must be a formula somewhere even if its only rule of thumb ?

Our current radiator is taking 4-5 hours to heat the room up to about 20C
This seems excessive to me.
The radiator does get hot and has been bled - no cold patches on it.
(although we do have issues with the boiler this is a long standing problem from installation)

Length of room x width of room x height of room in feet x (multiplier of 3 for bedrooms or 5 for living area) = rough heat requirements in btu's.

There are plenty of apps for if you have a smart phone

Rough guide: L x W x H in feet, multiply by 4 then stick 20% on (Btu's).I always err on the larger size for rads as you can always turn a bigger radiator down. You just have to be careful not to exceed your boilers ch output

thanks for the quick response guys

I tried the myson site but I'm not certain about some of the figures
(The radiator height doesn't seem right and some of the tech info isn't explained)

So I tried the room volume method and got roughly 1500
This is a kitchen and a bit ventilated so what would be the multiplier
would you say? 4 times that value maybe for a kitchen?
(It needs to be comfortable as its used as a second living space)

ps boiler ch value?

To do it properly can be a drawn out process, as the lads have said above just download an app .

What's the:-
Length, Breadth, height?
Is it a solid or wooden floor?
How many outside walls?
What is the wall, e.g. 11 cavity, 18" solid, fully insulated etc
What room is it? e.g. bedroom, lounge, dining room etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Howto calculate radiator size for room in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey everyone, I’m hoping you’ll be able to help. I’ll try and make it as short as possible so that someone actually reads it, if you need any more...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm trying to work out why the 'rule of thumb' is ~3 radiators on a single 15mm run... I've calculated the heat demand of my house at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Our flat has communal heating and our thermostat is set so low so the heating should never be coming on. However over the last 10...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, We currently have 3 old radiators in our living room, the room feels cold in winter and radiators take ages to get warm, system has been...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock