Search the forum,

Discuss I have a cracked 1.5" pipe elbow going into a 4" main drain under basement floor. How do I fix this? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys

My wife noticed water on the floor in our basement. What I can see is that the elbow is cracked where a 1.5" down pipe enters a 4" pipe that goes beneath the basement concrete floor.
My thought is that I have to break up some concrete to replace the 4" pipe/clean out and reattached the 1.5" pipe once this is done. The crack is where I put blue tape to show you guys.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210123_153916.jpg
    20210123_153916.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210123_154315.jpg
    20210123_154315.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 35
Best to see if any local plumbers have a socket saver

also it looks like it’s cracked due to movement due to not support / clips / joint under stress

might be best to remake the joint with a piece of tube and a 90 instead of a street 90

also it looks like it’s cracked due to movement due to not support / clips / joint under stress

might be best to remake the joint with a piece of tube and a 90 instead of a street 90
I was wondering if there was a way of reaming it out. I've never heard of a socket saver. I only have 7.5" of clearance from the fitting to the concrete foundation wall so I guess I'll have to use a 90deg drill in order to ream it out.

Either 90 drill or worse case socket set or ratchet spanner take some time but easier than breaking the concrete

Same size as the pipe so if it’s a. 1.5 pipe 1.5” socket saver required also the same specs eg schedule

Saw through the m/f 90 elbow and moved the vertical pipe aside.
Using care and a very sharp chisel you can pare out the remaining pipe from the socket and re-use.
I would replace with two 45’s, and clip that pipe!

Yeah that vertical needs to be supported first, IF its partially cracked ie the upper circumference only Id clean it as best I can and fill the crack with Puraflex 40 which will basically go off like solid rubber but only as temporary measure.

The pipe and fittings in the photo don’t look familiar to anything I’ve seen before. Is the OP not from the UK?

The pipe and fittings in the photo don’t look familiar to anything I’ve seen before. Is the OP not from the UK?
Doesn’t really matter in terms of answering the question.

There is a Whitby up by Scarborough, however I dare say there are several places called that around the world.....

Doesn’t really matter in terms of answering the question.

There is a Whitby up by Scarborough, however I dare say there are several places called that around the world.***.
Yes it does matter in my opinion.
The OP is asking for advice from professional plumbers, as I have been in the trade for 35 years I was interested in this photo, as I have never seen this design of pipe.

Also if the OP lives overseas this may help with the advice, it would be pointless a UK plumber saying trot down to Screwfix and buy a connection to fix the issue if the pipe size and system are totally different.

Hope this answers your question

Yeah that vertical needs to be supported first, IF its partially cracked ie the upper circumference only Id clean it as best I can and fill the crack with Puraflex 40 which will basically go off like solid rubber but only as temporary measure.
I dried it and put more yellow solvent and it has done the trick temporarily.
A closer look it looks as though the connection that goes into the 4" pipe is 2". To my untrained eye I think the elbow on the 1.5" downpipe is glued to that 2" inlet into the 4" pipe.

To me it
Yes it does matter in my opinion.
The OP is asking for advice from professional plumbers, as I have been in the trade for 35 years I was interested in this photo, as I have never seen this design of pipe.

Also if the OP lives overseas this may help with the advice, it would be pointless a UK plumber saying trot down to Screwfix and buy a connection to fix the issue if the pipe size and system are totally different.

Hope this answers your question
I'm in Whitby, Ontario,Canada.

Reply to I have a cracked 1.5" pipe elbow going into a 4" main drain under basement floor. How do I fix this? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock