Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Classic Slimline FF350 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willing2learn

Hi guys, went to one of the above boilers earlier (first time working on one). Customer was complaining of it making a loud noise when running. So, having read about the fans being a common fault on the classics I thought it could be that. He also mentioned it hadn't been serviced in 7yrs and could I service it.

So I gave it all full strip down service, gave everything a good clean, put it all back together and fired it up. All fine, noise still there, I noticed that the noise was more of an electrical type buzzing noise and wasnt coming from the fan, but the pcb/gas valve area. Anyway, I went to drop the underside of it that holds the pcb to get to the gas valve to do the burner pressure and as I was undoing one of the screws there was a little 'pop' and spark, followed by that electrical burnt out smell. Obviously the boiler then died. I went to get my cheapo multi meter and realised the batteries had died on this...nightmare! So i couldn't check the fast blow fuse that I could see.

So, what do you reckon it could be? The buzzing noise they could hear previously was obviously related to what went pop when i was undoing the screw, any ideas guys?

PS

I'm off to get a decent multimeter first thing tomorrow!!

Oh no, could of been arcing on a connection and the movement of the underside finally made the short to earth. but then again buzzing is usually solenoids.....

You got an led torch? I changed over to led a while ago and jeez its so much better in there!!

Oh no, could of been arcing on a connection and the movement of the underside finally made the short to earth. but then again buzzing is usually solenoids.....

Yes, it sounded like it was coming from the gas valve, but couldn't be sure as it went pop before I got chance to investigate further!!

check resistances of components you suspect, hopefully the culprit shows up.....

If not look for the burn marks!!!

Check that gas valve first, see what resistance you get accross the coil(s), then see if you got any continuity to earth on the live (L+N) on the gas valve....

If you havent got an Insulation resistance tester you you have to do it with your ohmeter on the multi.

Good luck! Sounds like a cracking fault!

pardon the pun

Cheers, couldn't believe my luck after I went to the van to get multimeter and batteries were dead! Bah! Hopefully the gas valve is fine and it'll just be the fast blow fuse.

Any idea what resistance should be across the coil on the gas valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Classic Slimline FF350 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello , I have an Ideal Classic boiler ff350 which runs for 10 mins before the boiler cuts out. The circ pump keeps running at this time. The Pump and The Three port valve have been checked and the User Stat on the front has been Changed (by a Gas safe engineer) when the Boiler cuts out there is...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all. I hope you are well. Need some advice on this boiler and fault. E229. Went there and condensate was totally blocked so cleaned it and still not fixed. Then serviced it and still got the fault. Called up worcester and one says its the gas valve as it is making a 3 whoosing noises while...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
I noticed a few weeks ago that my hot water and heating were not working so I went to check the boiler expecting to see an error code, but on checking, the display was completely off. I could hear the fan running (quite loudly) so I knew there was power going to the boiler. I opened up the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock