Discuss illegal work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Long story short my bird has been on Facebook today nosing around as they do and she found two lads which appears to be installing boilers without any GSR.Full on shouting down anyone that reckons you need a gas safe engineer , they say fit it yourself and get someone to sign off.

Now one lad has back tracked and claims to be GSR but however i can't find no info on him after a lil interest nose.

Been here with gas safe before and they done nothing without enough info so how you go about this as me bird wants to grass them up so to speak .

This thread has been done before with the same responses from the same people. Nothing happens, nothing will ever happen.

Call it corgi, gas safe, g20 elite or eggy smell prevention squad result will always be the same.

we think rightly or wrongly, that as we pay them a registration fee and are policed by them so to speak that they'd have the ability to crack down and pursue illegals.

They see them selves as a non government body not responsible for prosecution of said illegals.

Maybe we should report them not for working unqualified but instead report them for non payment of the registration fee.

See kids it's all in the wording

Last edited:
I hate the fact that it causes so many arguments. Generally speaking we are all fairly well rounded adults, some with vast experience in the sector. It may or may not be gas safes responsibility, surely by the amount of people saying the same thing over and over this shows there is a problem. I would love for GS to read through some of these threads and to give a little feedback. Not expecting them to fix Rome in a day but I think the general consensus is that either their remit needs to change or they need to start doing the job they are tasked with properly. I'm not trying to be inflammatory but the fact that people now don't bother reporting illegals shows that the system is broken. For those people to risk illegal gas work because one time in 1000 they may possibly get a fine and a slap on the wrist is no deterrant. They know that in the large majority of cases their work will go unchecked as the public do not have the education on the matter. It still entertains me that after all this time since GS took over people still ask am I Corgi??? Surely this shows that GS don't have the presence that perhaps they should. I get really bored of being undercut by illegals because they don't have the overheads that I do and can afford to work for so much less. Likewise I hate the fact that these people are chucking in 2 sometimes 3 boilers in a day, any old way they choose and they get away with it because the customer doesn't know that what they are doing is wrong or unsafe. It does make you feel like doing the illegal route yourself as the risk to you is so low, however I think I am too decent a person to put my reputation and my customers lives at risk. I'm sure Gas Safe used to have a couple of people on here. It'd be nice to hear that they do consider our concerns as genuine and that it's not just a bunch of engineers venting. Problem is I believe only the figure head company, I believe, can make any change here. They have to lead the way and be proactive rather than the constant reactive nature which is often too late after a dodgy install has been carried out and the rogue trader has already legged it with the money never to be seen again.

Last edited:
Gas safe are not a member of the arms, probably not competent to be :)

Manufacturers, the gov, engineers all have a role to play regards this sort of thing. It needs to be everyone together or it would not work. Manufacturers having a system of not selling, repairing etc...... Gov having the clout to pursue and heavily punish ( not just a slap on the wrists) engineers reporting, refusing etc......

Agreed mate. Everybody just seems to pass blame though each department saying it's not their problem. I can see why people get disillusioned by it

Whats the point of joining oftec?

work illegally and undercut you lol.

Kirk gas i believe works for the register now.

I do agree with several points riley has commented on that gas safe are basically deafening in their silence only other day i was asked if i'm corgi registered.The only thing i can see they do is post a free magazine through the door full of be a gas engineer in 4 weeks adverts.And if you phone up you can have a laugh at some sarcastic telephone operator.

I know some of the older registered guys are letting theirs lapse and they will carry on fitting .Needs some type of MOT system in place illegal or dangerous appliance a code gets registered into a smart meter and bellows slam shut or something.

It's difficult though isn't it mate. I'm not apportioning all blame at the door of Gas Safe but they're the people that the industry look to and at the mo they don't seem to be doing much to protect our profession

Just seen this on the FB page

[DLMURL="https://blog.nationaltradesmen.co.uk/gas-installer-jailed-over-shoddy-gas-work/"]Illegal Gas Installer jailed[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to illegal work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock