Discuss I'm looking for Low Carbon Steel tube in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

student plumber

I'm looking for websites selling Low Carbon Steel tube 3/4" diameter.

It's part of a college course, looking at drawings and catalogues then decide on fittings and put it together. It's a self assessment to see how well I'm doing. Could skip but then I wouldn't learn anything, So do it as best I can.

Any help really appreciated, I tried Plumb Centre and City Plumbing but nothing in catalogues.

BES and BSS cheers. I had looked on BSS before for something else but I couldn't recall seeing LCS. Found stuff on both:):).

hi. If searching the web sometime refered to as gas and water pipe bs1387

Sometimes referred to as ductile steel (the old name). You may also come across ductile iron pipe which is another material used for water and sewer pipes etc. It is much stronger than LC steel.

Some useless but interesting info - I inherited a load of books from my grandad and when he started, people still referred to grades of malleable iron as "Best", "Best Best" and "Treble Best". This referred to the number of times the iron bar was faggoted (bundles of bar forged together and stretched). The most well known use was for gun barrels (known as Damascus steel), though it was also used for steel cutlery, knives, scissors and in fact anything precision made prior to the devemopment of high quality forged steel production. It created a grain by stretching the inclusions of impurities in the metal and improving tensile strength. Development of steel production techniques ended this and grading was standardised in the 1930s under the British Standards Specifications.

There are different grades of fittings for different duties (you need to be aware of this). The most common is PN6 for steel.

This page is worth you printing off: (refers to PE but ratings are the same)

PE Pipes and Pressure Grades

Last edited:
Go on the "Crane" website, at one time you could download loads of good info on LCS, mild steel or black iron as its known sometimes.

The info usually tells you all the radii and the likes.

"Black iron" in the true sense really means wrought iron or forged iron such as for cookware and decorative wrought iron. Generally refers to a low grade with high carbon content so shouldn't be used to refer to low carbon steel.

Pipeline Center or BSS are the places to get LCS pipe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I'm looking for Low Carbon Steel tube in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock