Discuss imerssion timer dodgey electrics? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to a job today, customer had no hot water. Fed from an imerssion heater.

Found power to imerssion timer from switch on wall (not spur)

nothing coming back out on sl to power imerssion heater.

Diagnosed faulty imerssion timer.

There was an old one lying on the floor and the woman said it had caught fire previously and the one that I found to be faulty had been fitted 2 years ago, it was fitted in place of the one that caught fire.

Anyway, the sl to the imerssion timer also powered a booster pump, does anyone know if it safe to fit a new timer or does this wiring need to be sorted out?
016.jpg015.jpg

seems a bit of a bodge to me, wiring in the booster pump to the immersion timer. i would sort it out so the pump has it's own supply.

Are you sure that timer is for immersion heaters? It looks like a low current timer to me? It is also powering a booster pump. What is the make and model?

seems a bit of a bodge to me, wiring in the booster pump to the immersion timer. i would sort it out so the pump has it's own supply.

That was my thought, pump should have own supply, timer should be on spur, if thats what needs doing then I will have to pass the job to an electrician and wont get paid for it. If its safe to do so then I would just fit a new timer even if it is a bit of a bodge, landlord wants cheap as poss.

Landlord wanting cheap? never.

I'd get it checked by a sparks mainly because the previous one caught fire,

Agree with steveb pump should be on its own spur though

With the booster pump wired in as well, it may exceed the current switching capacity.

As others have said, probably a good idea to wire the booster pump on a separate circuit. Is the Immersion heater on a dedicated B16 MCB in the consumer unit?
I dont know much about wiring but its on an old type breaker unit with just the two switches that iscolate about 5 different fuses each if that makes sence

Assuming they are MCBs (resettable switch fuses as opposed to re-wireable fuses), are each of the fuses labeled?

There should be a dedicated circuit for the immersion heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to imerssion timer dodgey electrics? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock