Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion Heater Overheating & Kettling in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

My nans hot water recently stopped working which resulted in an extremly over priced plumber coming out and replacing both elements in the immersion tank. Aside from a huge price tag, it seemed the issue was resolved... until a few weeks back

The cut off switch keeps going off if the heater is left on for more than a couple of hours and there is a kettling sound coming from the tank within seconds of the heating turning on. The elements have been changed a second time now but the over heating and kettling persists.

The plumbing company we used isnt interested in trying to fix it - I dont think they have a clue what the problem is, so its a time consuming unpaid ball ache for them.

What could be the possible cause(s)

Do you have 2 issues or just the 1? You’ve mentioned when the heating is on that kettling occurs, but then have mentioned elements and kettling persisting? 🤔

Does she live in a hard water area?

Have you got a picture of the cylinder and the Immersion heater(s) location(s)?
Has it got 1 or 2 immersion heaters?
Do you know if it's vented or unvented, if unvented it will have more valves and pipes around it.

It seems like the thermostat, within the immersion, if it's and old style normal vented cylinder, is most likely set too high and causing the overheat control to trip.

Im assuming its one issue producing two symptoms, the kettling and the switch going off.

Dont have a picture, its a large cylinder, however, i would say its very similar to this one.
immersion.jpg
The
plumbers claim to have set the thermostat correctly.

Can you switch off power to the heating element(s), remove cover(s) and post a few photos, you can also note the thermostat setting(s).

Reply to Immersion Heater Overheating & Kettling in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock