Discuss inspecting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

got a job in the morning inspecting the plumbing on a big new extension job.

apparently the customer is complaining of leaks all over the installation. the contractor says the first fix plumber did do a good job with the install but is not too confident on second fix.
according to the contractor, he is saying the customer is a right awkward pig and is causing leaks by tampering with the supplies and drainage. he wants me to do a full inspection of the job to determine if the install is correct, not tampered with and make it tamper proof. he has also asked if i can pressure check the drainage but cant see how to do that after 2nd fix to soils?

what and how would you conduct this inspection of waste and supplies when everything is installed?.
how would you 'mark' every connection to proove tampering has taken place?.

bit of a weird one for me past the obvious leak checks, any ideas appreciated.:icon10:

Last edited by a moderator:
Might sound a wee bit over the top, but you want to mark each pipe/fitting in a way that you know the mark is there, but the women customer doesn't and she might take offence any way. Why not use a UV marker pen? Invisible to the naked eye, but if someone tampers with the pipework, it will smudge and then you'll know.

masking tape over joins and initial & number. record numbers and location in a notebook and keep them safe somewhere.
any tampering will show and if someone has removed tape completely and then says you have did not inspect that join you aleady have it recorded that you did.

There's something wrong somewhere if you have to put masking tape on joints in case of tampering by this awkward b[tch, sounds a right nightmare but worth it for the laugh.

I like the UV pen idea best.
only possible issue with push fit waste is that depending on the length of pipe there could well be some movement due to expanding and contracting every time hot/cold water goes through. so a slight move might not indicate anything but a big shift from were it was left especially a twisted movement would indicate tampering.

Maybe the customer isn't awkward but just want a good job doing and has cowboys on her hands, from their point of view she would be a total cow.

From the moment I enter a bathroom I can tell whether the fitter is a cowboy or not, look for the usual poorly fitted loose and leaking rubbish and then side with the customer. :dunce:

cant really side with the customer too much!.

this london based contractor is paying me a full day rate for a few hours as an independent inspection. for his piece of mind, he wants to know the job has been done right too so he can get his money.

can you get obscure colour tipex?

So long as you can get access to the VP to plug & base of stack you should be able to get a test on the stack, put the U gauge hose around the WC trap & put it under no more that 50mm WG. It should hold on the water seals in the traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to inspecting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock