Search the forum,

Discuss installing a coooker that is over 5 years old in a tower block question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
evenin lads......quick question for ya as I'm not sure on the answer....can a free standing cooker that is made before 2008 and has no fsd's be installed in a tower block? I know someone who is moving into a flat and has an older cooker......just because she is moving into a flat does she have to buy a new cooker? cheers

the whole thing is new cookers, you cant just force everyone to change old or existing or 2nd hand.

read it properly, yes you can fit it as it is second hand/ used, but you cant fit it as its in a flat/ house of multiple occupation

read it properly, yes you can fit it as it is second hand/ used, but you cant fit it as its in a flat/ house of multiple occupation

I think your comprehension of the English language differs from mine then

read the section named "where do the requirements of IGE/G/5 Apply?"

reading it thoroughly, I think you can,, but best to check, would be interested to know result

I've not got IGE/G/5 here but here is a bit from the commentary to an ammendment.

As with many new requirements intended to improve safety levels, consideration had to be given to the impact in terms of cost and practicality. In this case, it was clear that compliance with the new requirement would need to be achieved gradually. In terms of cost, it was not reasonable to insist that non-compliant previously-used appliances being moved into an individual dwelling in a multi-dwelling building be replaced with new compliant appliances. In terms of practicality, it was not reasonable to assume appliance manufacturers would immediately supply modified appliances for retail (and hence implementation of that particular requirement was deferred until 1st January 2008).
The requirement was never intended to ban the use of previously-used appliances and the following amendment to clause 8.2.1 clarifies that intent, i.e. the requirement now mentions ‘new’ and the new Note 4 addresses previously-used appliances.

So yes you can but it will apparently be NTC.

Probably written by an Englishman :lol:

They need to pad the book out to make you feel less bad for spending over 100 quid on it :smile:

You can install the cooker if she already uses it in her current property.
Whereas if she just purchased it from a second hand shop you wouldn't be allowed to install it.

The idea behind this is that as she already owns and is already a user of the appliance, she will be familiar with the controls, making it less risky.

You can install the cooker if she already uses it in her current property.
Whereas if she just purchased it from a second hand shop you wouldn't be allowed to install it.

The idea behind this is that as she already owns and is already a user of the appliance, she will be familiar with the controls, making it less risky.

not what the tb stated

I have always said if gas safety info was in proper easy to understand English it would be so easy

I had this last year had to fit a second hand cooker without a FSD for a new tenant in a ground floor flat in a multistory occupancy. I thought i it wasn't allowed but was unsure, so called Gas safe who assured me it was acceptable as long as the cooker was functioning correctly. I was quite surprised to call and get a definitive answer but hey ho every days a school day.

nothing stops the removal man from connecting a used one!.

you will find thousands of those instances but as soon as we do it......................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing a coooker that is over 5 years old in a tower block question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I have been dealing with this problem for over a year and finally have to ask for some help as backflushing every 2 weeks or so is getting very tiresome. I live in a 60's flat (3 flats per side of the block so 6 flats in all) with two overhead water tanks in a tankhouse on the flat roof for...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the flue bend. I’ve checked the external wall & there’s no water coming in from outside but the flue terminal also has a rusty colour. My regular boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I had a terrible install in 2019 that has a litany of issues, all sorted after a while. my boiler started overheating and switching off, seemed like the DAB evosta 40-70/130 pump wasnt getting power, i called DAB in the UK for advice and on removing the casing say it was full of...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope someone can give me some advice on replacing an old air source heat pump. We moved into a shared ownership house last year which has a Daiken air source heat pump fitted to provide heating and hot water. The unit was fitted when the house was built 12 years ago. It seems that the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock