Discuss Invoice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

wondered when you invoice the customer, do you list what materials you have used followed by the total of the materials? Or do you just write the total plus 20% and not descride/itemise what you have used? Just didnt know if i had to prove what materials ive used on the invoice instead of just writing a total?

Cheers , Mcnulty

Hi all!

wondered when you invoice the customer, do you list what materials you have used followed by the total of the materials? Or do you just write the total plus 20% and not descride/itemise what you have used? Just didnt know if i had to prove what materials ive used on the invoice instead of just writing a total?

Cheers , Mcnulty

It's up to you how you structure your invoices.

A good compromise is to list the parts separately if people want such detail.

You are required to keep accurate accounts for HMRC.

If i've given a price then i just lump everything together as what i've used is up to me. If its as a result of a call out then again i just lump it together unless they request a breakdown which then i believe they are entitled to in my opinion. I found early on when i wanted to be seen as transparent and show how honest and straight i was that i only caused problems for my self by showing all invoices broken down. Customers when given all the details will then question bits, prices and even hrs. Final straw was when an older chap questioned my 5hrs on the invoice as i had only been there 4hrs 40 mins.!!!

Agree with Peter, as long as it tallies with your estimate/quote, plus extras, day work etc itemized in a way that can be understood

how do i go about adding the 20%, do i add that into my labour or materials total cost? as i obviously keep my reciepts from the plumbing merchants for my accounts, the materials i buy for a job will match up with my receipts and invoive, so if i add 20% to the materials total cost to cover over expenses, the receipts wont add up from the merchants? or wont this matter as what materials i buy, i dont need to prove what job i used them on? or should i just add the 20% onto the total labour charges? see what i mean or is it just jiberish and im over thinking...

you put mark up on your materials. if your charging an hourly rate no need to add onto labour to cover you for stuff that might take longer then thought
it will add up cos you should keep a copy of your invoice

cool thanks.

at the moment im keeping a copy of the materials receipt with the invoice on a job ive done, so if i wanted to add 20% mark up, it would not match my materials. but then every month i get sent a copy of my the materials i have bought from the merchant as im on account there, so that receipt is my record for accounts. So as long as i have that receipt from the merchant at the end of the month, theres no need to keep the copy of materials ive used with the invoice for a certain job is there? as this is confusing me....sorry seem thick but my heads in a pickle

keep receipts for everything. mark up is profit it counts towards your turn over
you will have your invoices to show your turn over then your receipts for everything that is deductable

As little information as possible.

If they ask for more a simple breakdown of materials and labour.

If they want more (never happened with me) then a charge for the time to prepare a detailed invoice.

Invoice usually says:

To changing stop tap
To changing bathroom
To installing kitchen sink

Then a total.

99% of people are happy with this. The 1% are happy with a ÂŁ50 labour and ÂŁ75,000 parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Invoice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I have a question about adding a second bathroom to a house. My parents house has one bathroom upstairs and the house is all mains...
Replies
Views
Hi Oracles of all things plumbing, I have to replace a cast iron soil stack which is simple enough, done a few up here in Scotland, however...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Last year, whilst working for a plumbing firm, we managed our team and office with a web and mobile app. Rather than use anything off the...
Replies
Views
    • Optimistic
Hello All, I know that this is a question for a Forum Moderator and probably should be posted in a section about the Forum itself but I was...
Replies
Views
S
We had an incident of estate water pipe burst and united utility had to fix the issue for the whole estate and this time we didnt have much water...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock