Search the forum,

Discuss Is going self employed worth it in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I’ve been in the industry for 10 years now working for a firm, I can do most things gas ,oil installs, repairs ,servicing and plumbing. I’m currently taking home 50k and about 6k in scarp.

Been thinking hard about going out on my own to better myself and income. Could I really be earning more money? Is it worth it?

56 k is a good wage bud in all honesty I can't see you being any better off wage wise self employed but it's a decision only you can make , we're in a right old mess in this country and things are gonna get a hole lot worse before they get better is it really a good idea to risk what you have right now ? , you would need to employ 4 -5 other engineers and deal with all the crap that goes with it cash flow is crippling . Wages , materials , vat , vehicles , accounts , tax , training oftec , gas safe , fuel costs it's a never ending payout which can and will do ya head in. Kop

56k is good money. You're going to need more than yourself to be earning good money self employed. You will need staff and therefore stress levels will increase.

I work on my own, will never be rich, I have a decent lifestyle and love my job.

All depends on priorities.

56 k is a good wage bud in all honesty I can't see you being any better off wage wise self employed but it's a decision only you can make , we're in a right old mess in this country and things are gonna get a hole lot worse before they get better is it really a good idea to risk what you have right now ? , you would need to employ 4 -5 other engineers and deal with all the crap that goes with it cash flow is crippling . Wages , materials , vat , vehicles , accounts , tax , training oftec , gas safe , fuel costs it's a never ending payout which can and will do ya head in. Kop
Thanks for your honest opinion bud, I have thought hard about all the extras that come with a business and the timing of it all. it does seem like a lot of work! I have got to the point In my career where I don’t know which way to turn. I’ve always thought I will never make proper money working for someone else.

In this uncertain time I’d stick with what you’ve got.

I enjoy being self employed but don’t earn as much as that. Flexibility and satisfaction is what I value, especially now my wife has been diagnosed with MS. With one of two children have flown the nest we are (nearly) at a stage where income is less important.

But there’s a lot of work behind the scenes and everything is down to you - good/bad/or at the weekend.

I probably earn less now being self employed.
You could earn more than your on but imo you'd have to be either working constantly or trying to fleece all your customers for every penny.
For me the biggest barrier to earning is in the scheduling.
I work locally and want to provide a service to returning customers and build reputation.
If I filled my diary for max profit then every time something runs over, I'd have to drop jobs without notice or work 16+ hour days to keep on top of things.
I schedule a certain amount of redundancy to cover it and that allows me to take time and provide the customer service I want and gives time to service existing sustomers for breakdowns and emergencies.
For me to exceed your income I'd need to employ others. If thats your plan then I'd recommend trying to get some contract management experience with a company first, as those skills and contacts could be invaluable later.

The main benefit for me and prob most others is flexibility. I see my kids, do school runs, have more holidays etc.
If I need to I can do 16h days and earn over 2.5k a week but I generally do 8h and earn 1 - 1.5k,
which is equivalent to 30k - 40k PAYE salary (once you account for overheads, losses, downtime, benifits etc)

I probably earn less now being self employed.
You could earn more than your on but imo you'd have to be either working constantly or trying to fleece all your customers for every penny.
For me the biggest barrier to earning is in the scheduling.
I work locally and want to provide a service to returning customers and build reputation.
If I filled my diary for max profit then every time something runs over, I'd have to drop jobs without notice or work 16+ hour days to keep on top of things.
I schedule a certain amount of redundancy to cover it and that allows me to take time and provide the customer service I want and gives time to service existing sustomers for breakdowns and emergencies.
For me to exceed your income I'd need to employ others. If thats your plan then I'd recommend trying to get some contract management experience with a company first, as those skills and contacts could be invaluable later.

The main benefit for me and prob most others is flexibility. I see my kids, do school runs, have more holidays etc.
If I need to I can do 16h days and earn over 2.5k a week but I generally do 8h and earn 1 - 1.5k,
which is equivalent to 30k - 40k PAYE salary (once you account for overheads, losses, downtime, benifits etc)
Thank you for your reply, it helped understand business life a bit more

£56k even 50k without the scrap is a great wage - my wages are just over half that, granted probably not doing as much, but still. I earn slightly more than what I’ve said previously but can be hit and miss as it’s upped only by callout. Agree with others, probably best sticking where you are. I do wish I could get out of my current employment but there doesn’t seem to be much on offer that meets my wage, let alone yours.

Absolutely. I had a minimum wage job I used to do and it made me more money than plumbing. Overtime was time and a half which wasn't bad though. And, in fairness, I did enjoy parts of that job very much indeed.

But it was 8 hours of flat out working as fast as I could all day long in a cold building without a moment of being allowed to stop and think about anything, so I was constantly tired as still trying to do all the things I wanted to do out of work hours. Getting a specific day off when I needed it was almost impossible without a month's notice. I had to listen to stultifying music all day long while working. The company I worked for sold food that was mostly junk: bad for the planet and unhealthy for the person eating it. However well I worked, any advantage went to shareholders. I have family abroad and, because I refuse to use air travel, it effectively meant I could never get enough time off to visit. The work itself was mostly enjoyable but it hardly felt like a noble profession.

Self-employment means I take on the jobs I want. Essentially I still work in exchange for money, but I can choose what I'm interested in doing and what I'm not really interested in. It's more responsibility, but I can actually make use of my intelligence and education (and former work experience involving contracts) rather than just follow orders. I feel less knackered. One of my parents now lives abroad and needs a hand with things from time to time and so I can make time for this. I can take out a library book and actually finish reading it before it's due back. And my job cannot become redundant as it's not easily automated. I don't feel I'm merely swapping a proportion of my life in exchange for a salary.

£56,000 a year is more than I'd ever want to earn as I wouldn't know how to spend that much without increasing my environmental footprint beyond the point I'd be comfortable with. That said, if I wanted to really push my business and get as much work as I could, I could probably earn my old employed salary in 2-3 days a week and spend the rest of my time doing what the ---- I want.

Reply to Is going self employed worth it in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock