Discuss is it OK to leave heaters off all year round? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.

I have 2 rooms where I do not spend much time in... one of them is like a storage room. and other is like a room where I keep my wet laundry for drying (leaving window slighlty open all the time).

both of the rooms have gas based heaters (central heating based). to save gas I am thinking to keep these heaters off all year round. is it a good idea?

I wonder, would it not affect pipes in a negative way? and also would it not affect carpets, walls (especially in the room where wet laundry is kept) if there was no heating all year round all the time?

thank you for any comments.

If you have thermostatic radiator valves TRV's then just leave them on number 1 so the rad only come on to just air the room and will shut off at a low room temperature. If no TRV's fitted then you may want to consider investing in some. You can just turn them off but in my experience this could cause problems in time to come with the stagnant water sediment settling in the dormant rads due to no flow through for long periods of time.

We have two holiday lets in Cornwall (which is always damp) we close them up Jan to Easter. Over the years we have learned how to handle it. 1. Put some windows on trickle vent 2. Put slight heat..trv for you on 1 just above frost. 3. Avoid little micro climates so strip beds take wall hangings down (mould loves the gap between wall and picture frame). The trick is to avoid see saw temps 4. Thouroughly clean carpets
before closing up. 5. Take curtains down. centralheatking

Reply to is it OK to leave heaters off all year round? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
I would like to add an additional radiator to our central heating system. We have an attached double garage converted to a man-cave and workshop...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock